1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How bad is it to plow in a 2 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by buffalonick, Apr 23, 2010.

1. buffalonick

buffalonick Junior Member

Ok so i live in buffalo ny where we get a good amount of snow. I have found a few nice f 250's that are 2 wheel drive for cheap where as a 4x4 is expensive. If i had a decent amount of weight over the back axle, and some nice snow tires...maybe metal studded would a 2 wd be real bad for residential drives?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't do it. You been on here a year,do you really know what you want to do? You seen to go back and forth on a lot of stuff.

Sorry to drive the bus over you!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It can be done - usually. but what about those few times?

There's a reason for the saying "You get what you pay for".

4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

5. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Stop and think about it....

If it was practical don't you think a hell of a lot more guys/gals would be using 2 wheel drive?

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I can see it now. Buffalo get one of it's average 20 inch snowfalls, and Nick is out in his F-250 2 wheel drive truck, spending the first 2 hours of the morning digging his truck out of his own drive just so he can go plow the neighbors drive only to get stuck there as well.

Come on as stated above if you could do it in a 2 wheel drive truck all the time, there wouldn't be a need for a website like this, because everyone would have a plow, and nobody would have more than a couple drives, or propertys to plow per season.

7. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I have 4x4 and in that 20 inch storm in Dec I still got stuck 3 times. It was easy to dig the snow out and get unstuck quickly but 2wd would be useless and take more time hense less money being made.

8. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

No! I plow in 2 wd 75% of the time-but I would be stuck 25% of the time with out it. When you factor in the wieght of the snow you are pushing at the front point of the truck-it is the front traction that is giving you power, With out it you will just move sideways.

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

You raise a very good point- with a straight blade especially, and full load of snow in the moldboard angled, there is a LOT of lateral force on the truck trying to push it sideways, without 4x4 you'd be getting pushed all around!

Save yourself a LOT of headaches, go with a 4x4 and be ready when a 20" 'er comes, not stuck and pi$$ed off for not buying a 4x4 truck :help:

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Buffalo? Nope.

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Carry a cell phone with the number of a good towing service...you will get stuck

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I think a 2wd F250 or 350 would work great. Maybe you can find a crew cab long bed version. Bring a camera because we all want some pics.

Let's take another wack at the dead horse, I think it moved.