1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How bad is a broke harness pin?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Well things turned out not so hot. And i never checked this when i picked it up either.

I bought an 8' straight boss plow, 06 model off craigslist, turns out the plow side has a snapped pin, appears that its for the high beams light. Can a new one be put on or am i looking at a new plow side harness :/
  2. White Knight

White Knight Member

You can replace just the plow side pig tail for about half the price of a harness (MSC04754) 13 pin.
  3. letsgetplowed

letsgetplowed Junior Member

you could splice a new wire from the plow side, and the truck side, and have an extra plug to plug in, it iwll cost about $10 in wire and connectors, but it will get you through the rest of the season. I had a problem with the battery cable plug from the truck side, so i went to napa and bought a connector plug that is similar to what tow truck drivers use for the battery cables for jumping vehicles. it works awesome, makes a better contqact than the boss setup. pm me if you need part numbers.
  4. sjosephlawncare

sjosephlawncare Senior Member

5. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

why spend all that money, and go through the hassle? cut the wire (that the pin is for) at both the truck and plow ends, and just throw on some type of quick connection.
    makes for one extra step in hookin it up, but oh well
  6. big_belly4ever

big_belly4ever Member

i just spliced a new one on has worked for 3 years now
  7. knowsplows

knowsplows Junior Member

If you cut the wires and splice in a connector, then you have basically just ruined the truck side harness as well. Doesn't really seem like a great idea to me. Either splice in the plow side repair connector that Boss offers or do it the best way and buy the plow side harness. Repair connector will work just fine but replacing the whole plow side harness takes probably just as long as the repair connector.
  8. rocknrollrednec

maybe not ideal, but when you don't have the parts, and you need it running, it's a nice repair that cost about $.50, and took like 2 minutes.
    and the truck side connector can be put back to "good as new" at any time.
  9. knowsplows

knowsplows Junior Member

True, but that's not what you originally said. If you review the way your original post was written, you'll see that you said "why go through all the hassle" without referencing needing to do this quickly so you can continue plowing. Of course, if the snow is on the ground you need to get it fixed fast, but if that's not the case it is always best to repair things properly.
  10. rocknrollrednec

true, true.:cool: I had to rephrase my logic, to counter your argument!:drinkup:

in either case, I'd just cut the wires, and put on some .25"tab quick connects.