1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How are you protecting your drive train?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kg26, Sep 29, 2013.

1. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Plowing can be tough on your truck. My question is what are many of you doing before winter to make sure your truck up grading breaking systems (if so I'd like to hear what you chose and why) are you adding upgraded trans coolers. Lets hear it.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I personally own trucks that were built for the job. All are 350's-550's. Maintenance is key, hard parts included, and it's never ending the more trucks you own. I've owned GM's, Dodges, Fords. They're all the same.

We can help you more once we know what truck you have.

3. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

Brake rotors/pads, ball joints, hubs, front shocks, on two trucks this year. I figure, once you are in there, you may as well do it all.

Trans cooler is a very inexpensive preventative maintenance item to save you hundreds into thousands on trans repair. Heat is the number one culprit in transmission break down. Oh and just because vehicles have a trans cooler in the radiator, doesn't necessarily mean it is cooling the trans properly.

Differential oil, trans fluid, transfer case fluid and engine oil should all be changed much sooner than recommended in a plow truck. Plowing, hauling and trailering would be considered harder on the truck, therefore harder on fluids, which makes them break down faster, creating less lubrication.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I trade them in after a season

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Some day I want to grow up to be as cool as you. :help:

Until then I stay on top of regular maintenance and preventive maintenance. Also setting the trucks up properly from the start helps reduce costly break downs and then properly setting them up after the break down.

6. road2damascus

Since when is wearing depends undergarments cool?

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I am switching to all chain lift, trip edge plows as I hear\here they save transmissions and other driveline components.

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you going to start that disaster again?

9. Mark Oomkes

:waving: xysport Thumbs Up

10. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
    I am switching to all chain lift, trip edge plows as I hear\here they save transmissions and other driveline components.

Are you going to start that disaster again?

LOL AT least its not a birdseed moment

11. 1olddogtwo

actually, I'm going to weld some extra trip springs from the mold board to the A frame. This should help the tripping on my Western Vee......what ya think?

12. road2damascus

shocks with coil overs would be much cooler bud ;-)

13. 1olddogtwo

U might be on to something, maybe a set with adjustable rebound. shouldn't be too hard to fab up.

14. road2damascus

air shocks with coil overs with a compressor under the hood and in cab control for adjustments on the fly.

15. 1olddogtwo

well I already got the airbag suspension and compressor. shouldnt be too hard to make up.

16. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

What is a trip edge plow?

17. Mark Oomkes

Shirley you jest.

18. road2damascus

Rumack:*I won't deceive you, Mr. Striker. We're running out of time.

Ted Striker:*Surely there must be something you can do.

Rumack:*I'm doing everything I can... and stop calling me Shirley!