1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How are you ohio boys doing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by frndinalowplace, Feb 14, 2007.

1. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

What a storm we got. I think the totals around here were around 17". Finally got home after 16 hours of plowing. Goin back out tomro morning. Made about 400 bucks just by people waving me down god i love it. So how was ur experience?

2. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

we got about 5 inches around here, but thansk to the wind we had about 4 feet in some drives while others just had a fooot or so....but the old 4 wheeler was sure gettin abused but cant help iit!!! Now i have no where to push any more because piles are already 5 ft high and cant go any higher:dizzy: welp thats all i have now
    matt

3. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Well I'm not sure the exact snow fall amounts here but I was pushing 3-4' of snow all day 19 hours of plowing. Had to call in a skid loader to move piles back so I had room for the next storm. 3 tanks of gas and I only went 150 miles. Steve

4. SnowLady

SnowLady Junior Member

Put in 24 hours, 6 hours of sleep total, put on 175 miles with one pain in the ars salt spreader giving me problems with constant blowing fuses, filling the power steering with fluid and dealing with ice and drifts. Not a bad two days in the office so far. Still have cleaning up to do.:rolleyes:

5. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Just walked in the door to see how everyone is doing. Been out for about 32hrs. We go snow, inch of sleep, then snow making it almost impossible for people to shovel their driveways. about 50 calls an hr of very impatient ppl payup

6. aus316

aus316 Member

juts peachy here long over due 36 hours on road 52 pots of coffe and sleep whats that:dizzy: next system maybe fri night or sat so time to reload and regear (u all have a safe run):gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:

7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

29+ hours, 240 miles, 10"+ snow with a crust of ice........and one big hole in my moldboard........it was a good day.......

8. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

well boys i i finally got in at midnight last night, 22 inches of snow down here in wooster, i plowed 43 hrs strait had all 4 trucks running at max!!! plus a friend of mine subbed and gave me a hand with his truck . had to get a skid loader at 2 of my apartment complexes to clear out the driveways (92 of them) all my trucks ran for basically 2 days with only a few minor set backs. i'll post a new thread on that topic. have to go back this morning and do a little clean up at the strip mall i've got. later pete

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

In NWPA, we got around 14-17"s Man am I tired! We have been going since Monday 430ish in the morning and finally went to bed around 7pm Wed night:dizzy: :dizzy: Our problem was the damn wind! we were cutting through 6ft drifts. This V blade was the ticket quite a few times, punching through driveways and entrances. We still have a few places to clean up where cars were parked and they finall dug out. Then its snow removal time again!!!!!!!payup except for our condo's, we treat them good price wise.:)

10. dmontgomery

OK well, early wednesday morning I punched a hole in my moldboard.....my fault....and today I got really stuck while plowing a country lane.....but the phone keeps ringing.......

D

11. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I've been watching the rain guage here, all we got was rain, only about 1" of slush (damn my 2" trigger), but we had a couple of other plowable events earlier this year, so I've at least touched the ground once or twice with the blade, glad you guys got some good snow though!

12. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Akron area

We got about 12 to 14 inches of snow here. Then it went real cold. Plowed for 3 days salted for 3 days. Tonight I get to sleep a full night. We really needed this event as this year has been real lean for us. They were playing golf in Jan of this yr in our area.

We turned away over 170 "driveway calls". This was a "20 year storm" Glad we got this snow event.

Dave

13. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Well boys it has been a great 3 days here in the N.E. I plowed 6 hours Tuesday night 21 hours Wednesday and 14 hours of and on today. So I have a grand total of 41 hours and it is time for a good night sleep. Made 1500.00 just for call outs and I haven't even totals up the accounts yet. Steve

14. wtdexter

wtdexter Junior Member
    from OHIO

I live in southern ohio and all we got was about an inch and a half of rain,and then froze.Mostly salt trips.

15. AdamChrap

AdamChrap Member

I don't understand the numbers I am hearing, I plow about 10 miles south of you and we got 9" here. I went to Wooster today, I was all the way from the south to the north end and there was no more snow there then here. I talked to a guy who swears he got 20" in Nashville and another who got 15" apple creek. I swear people are going out in there yard and measuring drifts. Last I heard the official count for Wooster was 10" Were exactly did you plow 20"? I'm not trying to be mean, I am just trying to figure out if I am totally nuts.

16. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I plowed 39 hours straight tuesday into wednesday. Slept 3 hours wednesday night and went out for another 16 hours today. time to go to bed

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

This EVENT rocked!
    An hour into I popped a brake line, still had some brakes. Kept filling the brake reservoir every 15 minutes. Quart of fluid almost gone, took it home. Got home, electric's out,find leak,need compressor and lights to fix! Back truck out of garage, turn heaters off, PISSED,slam garage door.
    Get in house, lights come on!!!!! Get to Advance Parts as lights are being turned off to close early. It's cold enough that brake fluid does not leak out of severed line. Put line on, no need to bleed!!! Got a great brake pedal !!
    I put in 30.5 hours Tues thru Wed.
    Went to sleep, got up at 1PM Thursday wife gave me a list of people that called with drives to do.
    Did them all,took her the the doctors at 3pm. Two more called on the way home. Did them and every drive I did today, I had people walking up to me wanting their drive done after I finished the first one.Cashier at my gas station wanted her's done tonight,did it, 2 more drives walked up to the truck as I was doing it. Gotta love CASH in hand. This was one storm for the books!
    The snow was like 14 inches of sand. You could not finesse it by angeling and sweeping across the lots. You reached a point where you could not move it. A 7 acre lot I worked all day ended up with 10 huge piles I made. You just had to do straight Bull Dozer pushes rolling the snow in front of you to move it very far. The bosses plow with wings would bog down 10 feet past my push, do to the weight of snow.
    Went back to big plaza to do cleanup. Suns out and it's snowing hard. Here the 14 inches of snow on the roof is blowing off and making it snow.

18. dmontgomery

we got much more snow 2 yrs ago on the 23rd of December......we had 18" then....and no icing/sleet....... But this was a profitable storm.......

19. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

drive past hawkins grocery store on 585 back orrville rd, that is part of portage square plaza i plow the whole thing you take a look at the piles and tell me we only got 8". i had 2 skid steers at 2 of my apartment complexes. i see what your saying but you just don't need to use skid steers for 8" of snow. i've got snow stacked 10 ft. high all over the place! i went by what the managers at the apartment complexes told me as they were bitching about all the snow. later, pete

20. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Got about 6- to 9 here depending on which area my jobs were in. Went well, quite a few hours in the truck, 190 miles, 5.6mpg and about 33 gals of gas. Give or take I cannot remember the numbers right now.