1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How are you guys Mapping properties for employees

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rock Tech, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Rock Tech

Rock Tech Junior Member

I need some help to try and make a map of properties for my guys.
    Its come to the point where it is to time consuming to drive new employees
    around the city to show them where/what and how to plow. Any suggestions
    I have tried google maps but there is to much paperwork to pin point each location on a separate piece of paper.
    I drive all of the employees through the properties once, but it is usually a lost cause because I still get the 3am phone calls
    because they don't know which property to plow.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I like to submit a site map along with each quote, when its accepted I already have a map of the property on hand. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable without having visited sites with new employees or old employees on new sites its crucial to see those pesky pavement changes, raised manhole covers , etc before they are covered in snow. If you don't have time send a different manager or something better to spend some time now than fixing a busted plow in the middle of a storm...
  3. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

We do google maps but we do 3 things.

1) we give them geographical maps showing major roads with all the properties marked and highlighted in their territory.

2) Google maps again zoomed in on each individual property. We mark where snow is supposed to be piled in orange. Circle any hazards like man hole covers in red. Highlight sidewalks that need to be cleared and salted in green. Draw salt truck routes in blue.

3) Every vehicle gets an activity sheet at the start of each event. Every account we have is on this sheet. It gives the property address and business name. There is also columns for sidewalks, parking lot salting, and plowing where the completion time is documented. There is also a column for special customer requests or notes.

In theory we give the guys enough information so that they should be able to get in the truck and be able to go to any account, know what to complete, and how to complete it without ever being there before. However, we do individual drive thrus with each operator to every single account to show them exactly where they will be. It takes time, but we also have 4 managers to help get it done. Organization is key.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I am a one pony show, but my method is to take several good in-focus pictures of the new customer's site, and then draw a simple "map" of each one with pertinent info written in. I use red ink to mark "NO GO!" and green for "Good to go" as far as where to plow and pile.
    Then, each customer has their own folder with the pictures and the "map", along with phone numbers as a last resort.
    As far as remembering where they are (17 new accounts this season so far), I made a google map with "pinpoint" icons at each one with their name, address, number, and whether or not they are residents or weekenders.
    It also lists their per push charge. I will refer to it before each storm...just in case.