1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How are you Easterners doing, still digging out!??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hawkz, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

Just curious,
    did this storm sneak up on you or did the local weatherdude give you ample time to brace for it. Saw on t.v. that the grocery stores were busy with locals buying bread, water and other staples. What are the storm totals where you live??? Wish I could be of help to you guys, I am a willing body always to help out! Take care and have fun plowing- Hawkz
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i just got home. Ive been out since 2 this afternoon. Im taking a break and planning on heading back out around 8. Ill have to wake up around 3 am and finish em off. About 8 inches on the ground, and its supposed to snow till midnight.
  3. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I'm home for dinner and a short nap:eek: It's 7:00 pm and I've been out since 4:30 am. Got to go back out and hit 4 comercial contracts again:rolleyes:

Pretty good storm for $$$ I'm going to be billing about $3500. Not to bad for one truck:D

I'll chat you guy's up later!

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Storm fizzled out here 2" and its tapering off I have a 3" triggger
  5. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I only have a couple parking lots, and about 40 residential driveways. All to plow when the storm ends, about midnight will be the start of my day. 6-7 inches so far and still a couple to go.
  6. BerksLawn

BerksLawn Junior Member

We worked 8 to 6 with three trucks and were gonna finish up with one tomorow. Sad news....dad crashed the newest ram today he went out of the way to go around a bus and was gonna hit the pole with the plow but he quickly fishtailed and the pole hit behind the extended cab. Good news is it should be pretty easy to bang out. It was also my first time ever plowing, well driving the truck because im only 16. Well gotta get some sleep now.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Main thing is you're Dad is ok. Trucks and plows come and go.
  8. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

been out since about 2. taking first break for dinner. its about 9 30 now. We have about 8 inches. Gonna go back out in about 2 hours. be safe everyone.
  9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

At this time last night the local TV weather guy said "1 to 2 inches". NWS was saying snow starting after midnight, about an inch by dawn and another inch by the end of the event at mid day. :rolleyes:

There was an inch at 5 am. There were 2 inches at 6 am. There were 5 1/2 inches at 10 am.

The whole town was in chaos. I just got in from finishing all the lots that could only be partly done because they were already full of cars by the time we could get there.

But at least I remembered how to plow snow. I was beginning to wonder if I would. :)
  10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

We were supposed to get an inch or so up here in Maine but haven't seen anything as of yet. Can't wait until we do though!!!:D

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I could scream! Had to stay 3 hours at work. Came home first driveway I get stuck. My electro-touch doesn't work.:realmad:
  12. chrisby316

chrisby316 Senior Member

going back out. Talk to ya in a couple hours.
  13. citybobcat

citybobcat Junior Member
    from NYC

can everybody go CHA CHING !!!!!!!! just walked in the door it,s now 2am here in New York and have been out since 10am I hope all you Guy,s did well and made alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  14. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

Wish I was there, maybe some day........ we will have snow too? I am sure that it is just a matter of time though. How much did you guys bank on this storm?? Did they actually shut the government down; that bad of a storm? Glad to hear somebody is having fun in the white stuff!! Later- Hawkz
  15. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Just got in from plowing(2:15 am here).

I went out at 11 when it looked like it was stopping but ended up with about another 1"or so while i was out.

And it's still snowing lightly.
    About 4" on the ground most places, alittle more in some places further east.
    I'll have to go back out around 6ish to touch up some places.

16. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Just got in (it's 3AM) and I'm all done. Total accumulation was 9" and the snow was nice and light and easy to push! Ended up being a good storm with the exception of 2 drives that are a little tight for my truck. Hope everyone else made out well too.

17. Sndun

Sndun Member

Started hitting a few lots at about noon yesterday and finally finished up at 7:30 a.m. this morning. Other than a stop for gas and snacks, we went straight through. The day began shaping up to be a complete disaster but 8" on the ground brought in a few new accounts so that helped out a bit. Well, I'm off to catch some zzzzzzzz's.
  18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

14 1/2 hours at state rates. Half past noon until 3am. Second time ever plowing, nobody I know plows. That's a better way to make extra dough than anything else I do!

Gotta rewire those lights, get a deflector, and get some strobe lights...and find some magic way to fit two guys, a cb, food, clothes, tools, cd player and cds, and whatever else inside a non-extended cab...

Oh, and here's a tip: whatever you ignore in a list of stuff to bring plowing, don't forget to bring spare wiper blades!
  19. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

We started operations at approximately 8:00 am yesterday kept the Hospital, and the other buildings in our system open all day. had the sidewalk crews out all day scraping and de-icing.

Finally left here at 3:30 am this morning. Lots are black and wet. The people are smiling, and the sun is coming out !!!

20. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Well, I started at 3:30am on the North Shore of Boston and this thing won't leave us. We got 1" from 1:00pm Thursday to Midnight and the Weather Guessers said it would end at midnight, now we have recieved about 3" since midnight to 10:45am Friday and it is still snowing. Ocean effect now.

Note: Every Radio station says that the snow has ended in the Boston area and it is out to sea. I got news for them!