1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How are the v10 trucks pushing snow?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by pipelayer, Jul 11, 2014.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

Hey all, looking at getting a f350, with the v10 to push some snow. I know the v10 is a reliable engine, and I don't believe they spit plugs like their 5.4 counterparts, but how are these torque wise, and pushing snow? It's a regular cab long bed with 102k, and it's going for price cheap enough for me to buy a second truck. Just need something reliable, also, how's it compare on gas, my hemi was terrible, 10.. 6 when the plow hit the ground. But i can deal with that. Just wanted to get everyone's 2 cents. I'm no stranger to these f series superduty trucks. I've had two 7.3s, rust just got the better of them. Thanks
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I never had a Furd V10, but I did have the Dodge.

It's about as close to a diesel as you're going to get, torque wise. The biggest difference is weight.

The early V10's had the same problem with plugs that the 5.4's did, and the 3 valves are better on fuel than 2 valve.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

As long as its not a Toyota 4 cylinder it'll plow just fine. Bahabaha
  4. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

Ok, yeah this is as early as it gets it's a 99. So I'll have to watch that. Trucks a steal, 2 grand. It's either a steal or a pile of garbage lol
  5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Why would you buy something like that if you need something reliable??
  6. porabjr

porabjr Member

Hate to be a pessimist, but for $2K, something MUST be wrong with it. Post a few pics and let us know how you make out.
  7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if the 5.4 pushes snow with no problems, there will be no problems with the V-10 either.
  8. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

Oh no doubt it's going to need some wrench time, it's got a fair share of bed rust, but I need an all around reliable platform, and everything I've been told so far is that a spat plug from a v10 is more few and far between from a 5.4. I'll know by tomorrow for sure. I just got a superduty mount, and wiring for my fisher with a controller for free tonight, talk about a score.. Let's see what tomorrow holds.
  9. Buck331

Buck331 Member

I currently run a 2008 V-10 Super Duty with 4:10 rear end. I love the truck..., no issues whatsoever. Don't expect any great gas mileage results though.
  10. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

My last 13 years I plowed with a truck like you described ,2000 and 2003 both v10`s there was never a power issue. Any truck will loose traction before power.
  11. porabjr

porabjr Member

How'd you end up making out?
  12. Buck331

Buck331 Member

13. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

It will push snow just fine!