1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How are the RT1 V plows?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by W250CTD, Oct 4, 2010.

1. W250CTD

W250CTD Junior Member

Are old Boss RT1's still a good plow to have, or are there any weak areas that were fixed w/ the newer ones? Is this the style w/ the lights that stay on the truck, and the hydraulics under the hood? Thanks
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, the old RT1's were conventional mount with under hood hydro's. They were somewhat the benchmark for vee's in their day but few replacement parts are still available for them thus making them a bit of a dinosaur but they're very durable and reliable regardless. Some common replacement parts can be used from the later plows to keep them alive most of the time so there's still plenty of them out there doing the job on the older rigs. But the price would definitely have to be right before I'd recommend starting out with one.
  3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Just pony up the cash to get a good, used 8' 2" RT3 V.
  4. 82F100SWB

82F100SWB Junior Member

My RT1 is a 1989 unit that was sold new with an 89 W250 Cummins, it outlived that truck, and is currently mounted on a 92, it's a bit bent and has seen a good bit of welding, but, the 89 was a loggers truck and it spent the first 15 years of it's life plowing logging roads.
    I have had nothing but good service out of it, and the real nice thing is it stacks much higher than later model plows.
    If it's in decent shape with the proper mount for your truck, and the price is good, they are a good solid plow.