1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How are the new Plows holding up?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jpocket, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

You guys with Ultramounts, Expressmount, Quickmounts You get the idea. How are they holding up compared to the old conventional mounts, where the pump stays on all the time unless you unbolt it.

I was thinking about getting a Western set up for my new truck. My Uncle told me that that new stuff is only good until you hit something hard, then you can't hook it back up cuz it's all out of line. I currently have two conventional setups on Meyer one Western, and they are easy to maintain, if it breaks you just weld it up. With the nwer mounts I can't see theym being that simple when they break or bend, beacuse it's not simple old fashioned "angle Iron".

I want to here from the guys that run em hard.
  2. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

I have the Meyer EZ Mount. I have run mine hard since 2001, and have not had a single problem with the mount. Mine the plow comes off of the mount seperate, and the motor stays on the truck. Then at the end of the year I pull 2 pins, unplug some wires, and the mount and motor comes off with just the undercarriage staying behind. I would have no problem recommending it.
  3. hotrod7

hotrod7 Junior Member

new style hook ups

I have a Western 8' ultramount since 2001 and have had no problems:) :) Hooks up in about 5 minutes.:bluebounc
  4. Boss

I have an 8ft boss superduty with the rt3 mount....wonderfull and strong as he!!
  5. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Do your delf a favor and get the ultra mount western I am hard on my plow and I have never had a problem I have two. I take them off the trucks after we are done plowing. I can hook up to them in about 3 minutes each and be ready to roll out in about 10- 20 min after we load up the salt there is no other plow that mounts as nice dont waste your time with the meyers they are junk :gunsfiring: If you want to be productive and make more money go with the westernpayup
  6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I've had a 7 1/2' Uni-Mount on my F-250 for almost 10 years and haven't had any problems, nor am I expecting any. The plow is still as strong as the day I installed it. I can mount up in about 3 minutes.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

To a certain extant it's a moot point. The FVMSSA:( regulations have made it so that manufacturers can not produce a conventional mount for vehicles that fall after a certain model year (I believe 1994 and newer.) You will not be able to purchase anything but one of the new style mounts.
    That said I think the new mounts are every bit as strong as the old mounts. They are better engineered, and lighter. The hydraulics are stupid fast, and the controls more comfortable and simpler to use. You just can't use them as a chain hoist when the plow's not on.
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Thanks for the replies:salute:
  9. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I think the above statement is based on uneducated opinion, not necessarily fact. I have spent more time working on Western plows than I ever have on a Meyer's. Everone will have their own opinion on which maker has the best product. I have plowed with both Meyer and Western. While I think that the new plows longevity is much better than some of the old equipment I have plowed with, I can say through EXPERIENCE with both systems that the Meyer system has a faster motor and response than any Western I have used. In fact a friend of mine has a lawn/snow maintenance company, and has 2 Western MVP's, a Western straight blade, and several Boss plows. He is getting ready to get rid of all of the Western's and buying all Boss due to the fact that he spends too much time working on the Western's.
    As far as your question, I do not think you will have any problem with the mounts on any of the systems. And I believe that as far as longevity goes, the ball is in you court with how well you mainain what you have.
    Sorry about the long post, and good luck with your decision!
  10. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Hey Grunt I have experience with meyers plows I have a 1995 chevy 2500 its with a brand new meyers and it is junk. So for you to say I have no experince you are wrong. I have 2 ultra mount and they have been nothing but great to me never one problem so far. I Know for a fact I can hook up my western in half the time it takes you to hook up your piece of junk.
  11. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I have a real variety-
    old style Meyer EZ mount 7 years old- No problems with the mount- upgraded stupid E47 pump to E57, now it is OK. Major re-work on A frame attach point on actual plow
    Western Ultramount- on 3rd season with no problems. This is the best mount on the market for parking the plow on uneven ground.
    Boss V smart-hitch 2- in second season with no problems. Very picky about flat ground. Do not even try to dismount this kind of rig on anything except flat concrete or pavement.
    Boss straight with old Smart-hitch- 2nd season on used plow. No problems. Takes some muscle to remove the plow untill you get the hang. Best done with 2 guys though.
  12. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

JRS, what I said is everyone will have their own opinion on what is the best plow. You are what, 19 years old? Have a couple of years plowing under your belt, and based on your "experience" you like Western. I have 15 years of plowing under my belt. I started with an old hydralic system with push pull rods. Do you even know what that is? Based on my 15 years of experience I find that I like Meyers better than Western. You really shouldn't get on this site and call your fellow plowers equipment junk! You bring it upon youself for me to point out that your "experience" is limited to a couple of years. When you try to pass yourself off as a pro based on that couple of years, you look like a jacka$$! I didn't call your equipment junk, I just said that I like the Meyers system that I use. I don't pretend to be a pro, however I do respect other people's opinions, and recognize that mine is not always the best. Maybe you wouldn't call that "experience", but you sure as heck can call it maturity!:angry:
  13. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Push pull rods?? Damn youngster. First plow was a pump up, like a porta power with a long handle on the hump in the cab to raise it, and a flip lever to release the pressure to lower it. Change the angle, pull a pin and fight the damn thing over to the desired angle and put the pin back in.

The best plow?? The one that works best for you!

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

With all do respect .I have 23 years under my belt and here in buffalo we know snow.all the guys i know who used to own meyers didn't have good luck with them . they are made cheaply . thats why they started making the diamond brand plows that meyers owns. it depends on what you are plowing and how you take care of your equipment. I personally would not want one for free, thats just my opinion.What ever works for you, hey it's better than a shovel.
  15. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

I agree with you AD. I am not by any means saying that Meyers is the best system. What I am saying is that it works good for me. The original post was on the MOUNTS, and whether they can hold up to abuse. Mine has. You hit the nail on the head though as far as your equipment is only as good as the person who maintains it! If you just hook up every year and go and beat the snot out of it, of course you are going to have problems. What I did not do however was say that anyone's equipment is JUNK because it is not the same as mine. I have spent a lot of money on my equipment, and a lot of time meticulously maintaining it so that it lasts. I do all of my own repairs, and neither my truck nor plow ever sees the inside of a repair shop. For someone newly in the business to get on here and call my equipment "junk", it really pisses me off:realmad: . I was plowing snow while he was still wearing superman underwear. This site is about helping eachother out, not degrading eachother. He is also probably the guy that sees you broke down on the side of the road during a snow storm, and honks as he drives by. The best statement in this post is "the best equipment is whatever works best for you"! Let's respect eachother's opinions, and help eachother out instead of degrading other hard working snowplowers!:nono:
  16. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Grunt sorry for calling your equipment junk. I know different people have different experiences with their equipment maybe my meyers was a lemon. I don't know. I am 19 and for 19 I am running 3 plow trucks I think that is pretty good for my age. 15 years of experience is a long time you have been plowing almost as long as I have been living. I prefer my ultra mount I just dont think you can hook up to a plow any faster then with the ultra mount. I dont like the wear and tear of them hanging full time from the front of my truck. I know for a fact my western will hook up faster then any meyers. I have had the western for a good hard 3years and besides cutting bars and fluid and filter changes I dont think I have had one problem with any of them. I fond this amazing considering the guys I have running them:dizzy:
    Oh well.
  17. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

JRS, apology accepted:nod: . You are right, having that many trucks this early in the game is a job well done. Good luck in the future!:salute:
  18. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Grunt I never called your system junk so get that straight I called meyers system junk including the one I own. I have never honk and drove by anyone. Why cant you be man enough and stop degrading me you said you did't like it. I said I was sorry. Its kind of funny you have all that experience and one truck. Oh well I am not going to continue with arguing with you. I respect allot of the plower on this site and listen to everything they say. Thats what got me where I am today. People like you who are always jumping to conclusion makes me not even want to read a post like this. Oh well.
  19. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Apparently you did not read this post! Let it go. The reason I don't have more trucks, while largely none of you business, is because I sub all my extra work out. I had a couple of more trucks, but got sent halfway around the world to fight a war, and sold them and my accounts since I didn't know when I would be back. I don't keep degrading you, I was proving a point. I think you got it, and I will leave it at that.
  20. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I think you owe Grunt another apology.