1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How are the 05 SD's Front End Holding Up?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PremierLand, Jan 1, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Im just wondering (im a curious one), how are the 05 SD's holding up. Do they have any sag with the new suspension? Do they plow better than the 04's? Also, are the diesels problems that they had fixed now?

Thanks guys, im just wondering how the new ones are holding up with the new suspension and motors.

Happy New Year Everyone! :waving:

2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i dunno how well the spring rates are but i love the f450's axle, the dana 60 fatboy, that thing is huge and looks like it can handle some work...hopefully i can find one totalled and isntall that pig under my f150.... :D

3. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

Cannot compare my 05 FSD to a 04 but it does carry the plow better than my 02 2500 HD. It also rides alot smoother than the GMC.

The transmissions are going out of the 250-350'sbut that is another story.

4. PremierLand

from detroit

sorry, but does that mean the 04 carrys it alot better or the 05?

5. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

I will put it this way.

My 05 FSD carries seems to carry the plow alot better than on the 02 2500 Hd.

Since my suspension is a new set up compared to an 04, I cannot say how your 04 will handle. Someone with an 04 would need to give you their opinion.... :eek:

6. PremierLand

from detroit

oh okay, thats cool. I thought before you meant it like the 05 is nothing to compare with an 04, meaning that the 05 and 04 are wayyyy different in handleing a plow. Thats why I had to ask... Thanks for clearing it up.....

Thanks Again!!! Happy Plowing! :waving:

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Hard to say. We only have 400 miles on ours. We have the Blizzard 8611 and it only drops about an inch when raised. It rides very nicely with the plow in the raised position. The turning radius is awesome.

As far as I know, the engine problems are 'fixed' other than the glitches here and there that every newer engine is going to have. The bigger problem is the transmissions that have too thin of casings and the reverse planetary gear 'retaining' oin that falls out. There are also problems with the 4WD shift lever not staying engaged. These are all supposedly going to be fixed in January. By then, the problems with the front ends will probably start. :angry:

8. fieldday

fieldday Junior Member
    from Wi

Had an 04 now have an 05. The ride is better, partly from the springs and some from the 18" wheels on the 350. They are huge...
    Plowing is a little softer but not bad. The turning radius of the 05 is fantastic. 6.0 just goes. Tranny so far so good.

Didn't like the coils at first, but they are warming up to me every time I make a swing without having to back up and take a second try.

9. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

It would seem to me that it is still a bit early yet to tell.

10. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

'05's turn sharper, SWEET! I plow with an '01 F-350 crew cab long bed and sometimes I just want to go home and get in bed and cry about the lack of turning radius :cry: , or at least be able to plow parking spots in an apartment complex without wiggling in and wiggling out for 3 spots.

11. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I can see a better ride from the springs but from the Wheels???? I have seen 18" wheels before and the tires that go on them are low profile which gives you much less sidewall which in turn gives a rougher ride not a better one. How tall are the tires on the 18" wheels? It takes a tall sidewall to help with ride not a tall wheel. Those low-rider rigs with 20" wheels and little tires ride just like a old buck-board with wooden wheels.

12. Ferrarilou

Ferrarilou Junior Member

'05 F350 - Front end levelers

I have an '05 F350 EXT CAB, Short box, Diesel, Auto and still have yet to put a blade on because there has not been any snow in Upstate NY. However I did notice that my '05 is lower in the front when compared to the two '04 F350 I have in my fleet. I did some research and found a company that makes "extensions" to go on top of the coil's in front. They lift the front 2 1/2" and I'm getting them installed today. Apparently they level out the truck, and aid in snowplow application without harming the ride. I bought them because I feared having truck look like a GM with a blade - hate those nose-divers. I'll let you know what I think after I install them and put on a blade. I'm also still trying to decide to stick with Fisher, or buy a BOSS V, or buy a Blizzard.

By the way does anyone have any pictures of an '05 F-series with a plow?

You can purchase the lift's at: www.autospringcorp.com