1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How are plow's different?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by z71Worker, Nov 9, 2004.

1. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

I really just want to know what the major difference's are with the major co's plows.. I dont mean to start a debate similar to chevy vs ford, just facts.. I am obviously new to the site as well as a soon to be 1st time plow owner..

after calling around, i have found that in my area, i can get a 7.5 regular duty plow installed by Boss, SnowWay or Fisher for 3100-3500 on my truck..

Are the just cosmeticly different?

Are the hyrdaulics different?

Sorry for such a broad ? but every dealer i talk to obviously tells me his plow is better..

By the way.. my last thread was answered that I should go with the best dealer in the area.. So far thats the Fisher guy.. :drinkup:
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of truck do you have. Any of the plows you mentioned will do fine. The biggest difference is in mounting systems, trip design (edge or full moldboard), and location of the hydraulics. All new plows for the most part are electric/hydraulic meaning that your trucks electrical system drives the motor for the plow. I would personally go with the fisher if you like the dealer. All plows get the job done, i have not heard anthing bad about boss,snoway or fisher so you can't go wrong. You get your moneys worth with any brand new plow.
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Hammm: :rolleyes:

Don't forget to look at Blizzard :waving:
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

A couple of things to compare:

1. The "guage" (thickness) of the metal, if a metal moldboard. The smaller the #, the thicker it is.
    2. The size of the "rams". This is the hydraulic cylinder that controls angle and lift.

With both, "bigger is better".
  5. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

Truck is an 04 chev 1500 z71, reg cab, long bed, snow prep package, heavy duty suspension and heavy duty towing.. 5.3L engine and 4.10 gears..

Blizzard... maybe it sounds funny, but there plow is 100lbs less than the competition.. while that is nice for the truck, my mind tells me that its weighs less for a reason...?? :confused:
  6. Bolts Indus.

You are correct. It weighs 550 lbs because that is the proper maximum weight for a 1/2 ton. The heavier 7'6" plows which Blizzard also makes are for 3/4 tons. Now you have the rest of the story. :redbounce
  7. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I know for a FACT one of the major differences is color. Hope this helps.
  8. Bolts Indus.

Can't get nuttin past you. :rolleyes:
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck. If you are implying that blizzards weigh less because they are weak plows, they are not. Blizzards are great plows and 550 LBS is perfect for a 1/2 ton truck. 100 LBS does not make much of a difference anyways. Any 7'6" plow from any of the major plow companies will be fine. Just keep it under 700 LBS.
  10. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

thanks for all the info guys.. just needed a few people to agree with whats been bouncing around my head!!

BOLT INDUS.... as far as blizzard goes, i would look into one, but cant seem to find a dealer listed on there site that is anyplace close to me.. know of a dealer in upstate ny 12180 zip?
  11. Bolts Indus.

Call the factory 1-888-680-8600 toll free and ask them.