1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How and When do you clean salter?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LuckyPlower, Nov 28, 2013.

1. LuckyPlower

LuckyPlower Senior Member

Just curious on how everyone cleans their salter? after each use?

I've heard some guys power wash and re-spray with a rust inhibitor after each use. While others let it cake on and deal with it in the spring.

I have an under tailgate salter that I empty out after each use. On warmer days I wash it out with a hose. I've always thought washing it out when it's below zero wouldn't be a good thing.

2. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I have under tailgate and v box spreaders, always get emptied out and truck, spreaders get pressure washed and dried after each use. It is all done inside though. Usually spray stuff with fluid film every couple weeks.

3. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Ditto above^^^

4. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I try to wash my sander after each storm and regrease the chain.
    If not each storm, every other storm.

5. LuckyPlower

Inside out of the cold would be ideal. I'm stuck outside. Just straight cold water? backpack blower to dry?

6. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Car wash the water is warm

7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

clean mine out, try after every storm. sometimes life gets in the way. do it when i can. dont do it when i cant.

8. LuckyPlower

Anyone ever try a hot water power washer set up? I've been thinking of setting one up by the door to the shop.

9. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

All of mine are hot water. It's the only way to wash. Usually summer time we don't us the heat unless degreasing or washing concrete.

10. LuckyPlower

Thanks, Time for me to source one out.

11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Anyone have any tips for cleaning the aluminum on the poly salt doggs .

Id like to clean it up

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I clean my Swanson every nice day. But I grease and oil before each storm. Since I remove the spreader after each storm to clean the salt off my flat bed. I can take air and blow out the bottom side of the spreader. and since its a gas spreader I can run it out of the truck and that makes it nice.
    During off season I pull all chains let soak in a tub of half oil and half kerosene.

13. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

My salt doggs have stainless on them, but not aluminum? Some good stainless cleaner does the trick.

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Sorry wasn't thinking. Its in good shape just want to clean up the area where the chute pins into

15. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Set it and forget it. I think washing them all the time is no good especially with a pressure washer getting the water into all the places water shouldn't.

16. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Try Princess auto. They have some electric washers and I don't mean the cheap ones you buy at Cdn Tire or Home Depot. These are a different kind of cheap princess auto style. They use a big electric pump.

17. LuckyPlower

I see what your saying with that too. Thats why I came on here to see what people are doing. Power washing could be making a brine to get in every pore of the truck body/salter. Unless a really good job is done washing it could maybe hurt things a bit.

18. LuckyPlower

Was in there a week ago and saw some. I was a little scared. never even heard of the brands. might not be bad, I'm just a little hesitant.

19. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats what "Paver Pete" says

20. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

With my under tailgate, it gets cleaned out of all the salt, generally after each storm.

I only wash it a couple of times a year.

With the hydraulics, there isn't really any reason to wash it out constantly. The spreader is also stainless steel.