1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How accurate is Accuweather...long range forecasts!

Discussion in 'Weather' started by exmark1, Oct 30, 2007.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I was just looking on Accuweather and there 10-15 day forecast is showing ALOT of days with snow between the 7th and 11th of November for central MN. Just curious how accurate they normally are forecasting that far into the future... it's got me a bit nervous! IM NOT READY! Still got 50 + cleanups to complete!
  2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Beginning of last week they said snow here thurs, fri, sat of this week. Now it will be partly sunny/sunny and 54.
    We have the same forecast for next week now, maybe if they keep pushing it back they will get it right :confused: Eventually it will snow right ?
    I never had good luck with accuweather pro. 2 seasons ago I used it. We had one storm that had 6 down and coming on hard. We ended up with 10". The forecast never changed above up to 2". Everyone other weather site (even the weather channel) had winter storm warnings up. NWS had it posted. IMO it seems they spend ALOT more time on the east coast forecast, they are based out there. There forecast for pro when I paid for it was worse then the weather channels. We have Tom Skilling out of Chicago on WGN, he is the best for our area hands down.
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I'm convinced that they are the worst weather forecasters out there, at times i shake my head in amazement of there incompetence.
  4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Well thats not what I wanted to hear, they were calling for snow for us too. :rolleyes:

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

accuweather sucks....weather.com is better...but all forecasters really dont know whats going past the next 20 minutes
  6. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I second that they do suck.They called for rain and some freezing rain possible flurries 3 times last season the first storm we got 10 inches second storm 6 inches 3rd storm 8 inches one storm we had 6 inches on the ground it was pounding down and the said total accumulation would not exceed 3 inches :dizzy:

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

What I don't understand is, why anyone would pay for weather service, when the NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE, which 90% of other people's forecasts are based off, if not read verbatim, is free.

Put a shortcut to YOUR TOWN's forecast on your desktop, 1 click and you instantly have the EXACT forecast that you need.

At least our NWS is good that way. When there's a storm, they update every 30 minutes.

Also, for you guys that have MyCast on your cell phones, they basically use NWS's forecast and updates. Also, the radar is much more realtime than Accuweather or Weather.com's.
  8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

what I notice about accuweather is they tend to predict using computer models. If you read the blogs there are some that are pretty accurate. I like the accuweather service and have not had any issues yet. They have had snow in our local 15 day a bunch of times but keep taking it out. But in reality, who can predit weather that far out anyway?
  9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

hey. thanks.
  10. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

accuweather is not very good at all.
  11. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I noticed that...the forecast has changed almost everyday since I first saw it! I really think I should become a forecaster, whereelse could you be wrong almost all the time and not get fired
  12. CrownLawn

CrownLawn Junior Member

Accuweather is a like my hometown weather. They say major storm is coming and next thing you know you are woundering where is the storm. The bad side of this is the say maybe an inch or two over night and then wham you have a foot of snow and you are playing catch up all night. It is enough to drive ya nuts.:dizzy:
  13. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

In Canada...Accuweather,Imo Is way off most the time...I thought It was more geared up for the U.S....but aperently not.
  14. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

i like they go out 15 days... i wish someone else would. If they ARE right, the Twin cities has 5.2 inches comming the 8pm the 14th, to 5 am the 16th.

I wouldnt mind that.
  15. LordOfTheSith

LordOfTheSith Member

I dont even listen to accuweather.....
    as far as I am concerned, thats why the government has the National Weather Service
  16. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

I am not a big fan of the Accuweather long range forecasts. I think that up until a week out they are decently accurate, after that tho, its a shot in the dark. Their recent forecast says that between November 30th to December 3rd there will be snow for southern New Hampshire. The farmers almanac also say that. Hopefully they are both right.
  17. Daddy Wags

Daddy Wags Member

The bottom line is that none of the weather people know what the h*ll they're talking about. They can't predict 1 day ahead. How are they going to predict 1-2 wks ahead. They're terrible!