1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How accurate is a spreaders rate?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by okdustcontrol, Feb 23, 2016.

1. okdustcontrol

okdustcontrol Junior Member

I have a dust control company and we mainly do smaller jobs for commercial gravel lots. I've had to turn down a couple of requests because we don't have the equipment to spread the amount needed for these jobs.

We use a corrosion-inhibited calcium chloride blend and have been using push-style spreaders. We like these because if the calibration is off I can usually tell within 50lbs that something needs to be adjusted. I am considering adding a spreader to my truck so that I can do road work and longer drives without hour after hour walking behind a spreader.

I need to be able to put down .3#/sq.yd., will a regular Vbox spread be able to handle that kind of accuracy? The liquid spray trucks have rate controllers that kinda squeeze down a valve or open it based on the speed of the truck to match the required rate. Does a v-box spreader have them same kind of options? Is the spreading rate pretty uniform? I have used a couple of super cheap spreaders and they left spiral effects on the ground which we had to rake out before applying the water.

Thanks for your help!

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Yes. You can get pretty accurate. They have an auger/chain speed control as well as a spinner speed control, so you can dial in pretty much whatever you want.

3. Nick B

Nick B Junior Member
    from Madison

Snow Ex is the only V-Box spreader that I have found that you can get a rate controller for. The controller is made by Snow Ex also. You will have to check it out.

4. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I think they're fairly accurate but there are a lot of variables that might come into play. Have you considered a ride on fertilizer spreader? They can be dialed in pretty good.
    If not I would also look into snowex. I remember seeing at a dealer a scale of some type built in that would tell you how much you spread at each site.

5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Snow ex for sure is the way to go.