1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how about those storms today in illinois?!

Discussion in 'Weather' started by stroker79, Aug 23, 2007.

1. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Im schaumburg where we got TONS of damage. 50-100 year old trees UPROOTED and all split apart. most homes are still without power which sux.

anyone in this area need help cutting up these trees and hauling them off? please pm me

Ill get some pics up tomorrow of the aftermath, its really impressive.

Just thought I would share......

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm out here in woodstock and we got a normal thunderstorm. Some lightning, little bit of wind, normal rain. My dad was in Arlington Heights sitting in a parking lot and he thought his truck was going to be tipped over by the wind. Apparently parts of the Edens expressway it totally flooded and shut down. He also heard that chicago has major power outage, flooding, building collapses, etc. I guess huntley had 3 house fires all at one time from probably the lightning. (Dad is a FF so he is always listenting to the radio/scanner)

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I'm at the edge of AH. Yes it was nasty. I've lost track. What is it now, two weeks of rain every day, or have we missed a day in there? Fortunately I only lost smaller limbs. And the power never went out. No water in the crawl...yet, but I expect some if we keep getting hit. It took my honey an hour to drive four miles home from work. She went shopping this evening, or tried to at the Whole Foods and Walmart at Rand and Dundee....both were closed and lights out in that area too, lines down around there I guess.

My grass was just about to start standing up again and here comes more rain. It's all laid down flat in weird little swirls. From past experience, I see a lot of turf being lost due to extended saturation of the root zone.

How about Southwest Wisconsin? Talked to a friend tonight he mentioned four or five bridges within a few miles of his home in Soldiers Grove that are washed out.

4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Im north to close to the state line. Drove threw Lake Forest at the height of the storm, couldnt see 20 yards in front of you. We didnt get the damage the city did.
    Gurnee is sand bagging the low spots by the DesPlaines river, Russel is probally going to get it worse. I guess it will crest sat am.

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

simply NUTS! It's been 2 weeks of constant drenching rain. Yesterday, trees down, power lines, etc. etc. etc. If I had a chainsaw I'd have been in business.

The upside is that with all this moisture there should be more than plenty in the ground for the winter storms to pull from as this boundary has been lined up south, west and north of us. I'm thinking big snows this season as long as the temp's drop.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Me too. Hopefully I find a blade for my truck otherwise the atv is going to get a work out.

7. stroker79

Thats what im sayin. the funny thing is, i went out and bought a chainsaw last night to try and make some cash but it seems like everyone has things "taken care of". Ive driven around for hours looking for work but every thing is getting ground up by the big tree care companies.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

We have 4 or 5 chainsaws. but 3 of them are electic and struggle to cut anything over 2".

9. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I was on genarator power from thursday afternoon till saturday night! That has never happened to me before. I like it

10. stroker79

here are some of those pictures of all the downed trees. I could take hundreds of pics but they would just look all the same.

storm pictures 001.JPG

storm pictures 004.JPG

storm pictures 008.JPG

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

As I was traveling across Illinois on I-80 heading for Kansas last Saturday morning, I saw about thirty-five electric contractor trucks, mostly bucket trucks, heading toward Chicago I presume. I am not sure how far they traveled (to help out?), but I also saw the same company working in Kansas when I got there.

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I still can't figure out how the city and surrounding towns got hit so hard and we didn't. The storm knocked a few dead branches out of the trees here and that was about it. Heck, our power didn't even go out and thats rare, I think if you go out and cough on the power line it probably would shut down the power to our house.

13. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

yes sir,the damage was extreamy bad on alot of my accounts int he lombard /villa park area we went to work last thursday at around 6 pm get home at 2 am one crew back out at 5 am and so on through sunday northshore account real bad also kenilworth,willmette,winnetka

14. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

That is crazy. But look at the bright side atleast you saved some on the electric bill. How are things now?

15. Quality SR

Stroker, that looks like some serious damage. I am happy to hear you guys made it okay. Any damage to your house or business?

16. stroker79

We made it ok, no damage to anything thankfully. I have never seen so many downed trees like this before. It looked like a tornado whipped through here. Most of the trees are still down, its taking quite awhile to get them cleaned up

17. Quality SR

Thats good to hear that you made it out ok. Good luck

18. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

It actually was kinda cool! I have never had the power go out here for more than an hour or two before this. We didn't have as muck damage as Stroker79 seen, but I did have to drag a 12 inch diameter limb out of the road to get to make getting to the house a little easier. I was down by my dad's on friday and there was water on the road in a few spots that was up almost half-way up the tire that had some decent current to it.