1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How about this!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowguy43, Dec 11, 2009.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Just saw this at the local Lowe's while on my lunch break. Snapped the pic to see what your thoughts were- I'm mainly talking about the free Salt and Sand!

IMG00011.jpg

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I've seen that truck before. I was going the opposite way and was like "That didn't just say what I though it did....did it!" I guess now I know.

3. plowguy43

You know he's just taking it from his towns transfer station.

4. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW HOWS HIS INSURANCE? LOL:laughing:

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

If you see his plate next time let me know what it is. I have a few friends in the public works department that would like to get ahold of this guy. That pisses me off, I hope he isn't a resident of Windham, or Raymond. As it is my school system came in ANOTHER $286K short this year on top of the already $982K short fall. They had to extend vacations and cut some more staff members mid school year. But yet guys like this are out stealing mixed sand & salt for there own profit.

Now if I had seen his truck at Lowes like that, I would of parked next to him, an put pebbles in his valve steam covers and screwed them back on.

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

He would be lucky if he had full coverage on that wreck, let alone GL.

7. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

how do you know he is stealing the salt? maybe he is just charging them for it in his plow prices. Thats a different way of marketing yourself. If he is stealing he deserves to be turned in.

8. plowguy43

I didn't take a peak at the plate, but it was in Westbrook/Portland and had a Curtis Plow.

In Otisfield there is a sand pile that is available to the public to use at their homes as long as your not using it for commercial use. Thats why I'm thinking this guy is going to his local transfer station and using the community sand for his benefit. I can't imagine he'd make any money doing it any other way.

9. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Hey that's my truck!

Just kidding but I have seen it around. I have never liked magnetic signs seems like the company is sketchy but home made magnetic signs with stick on letters is even worse. Seems like more and more guys around the Portland area this year like this truck.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

At $10 driveways, we might as well sub them out and save on our overhead.

11. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

yea but then it would cost you when you had to fix all the crap he breaks. Most lamp posts are not cheap. I broke a cast iron one last year doing snow relocation with my skid, when into the pile and a big snow/ ice chunk rolled off the top and smacked the lamp post was hoping just the studs broke but nope the bottom of the post broke 3K for a new one with labor because they wanted the electrician that put them in to do it.

12. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

ha i wonder if he stole his magnets?

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

The hell it would...Hence the Sub part. His stupidity, his problem, or more accurately, his insurance's problem.

14. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I'm quite sure it's just a gimmick. That is probably for his residential customers - that he tosses a little bit on their walks and steps and prices for it. People say the same thing about all the Craigslist ads with the $20 mowing, and all tat (prices START at $20, but yet they never really do a $20 lawn - with their limitations and conditions that apply). No different than all the sores and such that offer free this and free that - as long as you also purchase this and that valued at a certain amount. The word free is a huge marketing attention getter...People actually think they're really getting something. Hey,...I can get 3 months free of HBO right now as long as I sign up for a year of a 70 dollar cable bill...

15. sjones

sjones Junior Member
    from ct.

why do you plow with such a nice truck?

16. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

like buying a car they give you more than your trade is worth you think you're getting a great deal they add that onto the price of the car.

17. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

Average liability policy is what 2k a yr..$40 a week......still dont understand how you guys think $40 a week makes any difference at all .....you guys act like he is saving 20k

last time i checked my invoices/checks dont specify i get paid more because i have a pretty truck

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Maybe he like the guy who claims "free salt" but charges for the laBOR TO APPLY IT.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Maybe the like the guy who claims "free salt" but charges for the labor to apply it.

20. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like good marketing.He got a lot of attention already.