1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How about this.....

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Clint S, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I like it.

3. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Years ago the Search and Rescue boys and girls has a suburban with a setup like that. I wasn't terrible impressed. It was IMO a gee whiz setup.

4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

It sure "looks" cool, but its really just a toy. There is just no substitute for having the proper equipment, and for the price of those, you can buy a plow AND a snowmobile. If you got stuck with those things on your truck, ***it would be very very very bad***.

I think the manufacturer... AD Boivin, is about to go under. They've discontinued their "snow hawk" line of snowmobiles (if I recall correctly, they got banned from trails = instant death, because they were basically uncontrollable death traps), as well as their bread and butter: aftermarket full snowmobile suspensions (and they made a truly amazing product in their "ExpertX" suspension). What they've got left now is this toy, another toy for converting motocross bikes to snow kind of like "diy snowhawk", and a warehouse full of parts. I don't expect them to be around at all next year.

Their rise and demise went like this;
    Back in the mid 90's, snowmobile suspensions SUCKED, so there was a really good market for comfort upgrades. TeamFast had their series of "cushy" suspensions, and ADBoivin started building "high performance" suspensions. Both did well for the segment of the market that they targeted, and this continued until the OEM's started to really improve their own suspensions. Once you have the might of Yamaha Motor Company building high performance high comfort suspensions, the backwoods guy from Quebec isn't going to stand much of a chance. They saw this, so they started getting into some wacky ideas to keep themselves relevant. The result was snowhawk and this silly thing "trackngo". Snowhawk was a pretty radical change over from the traditional snowmobile configuration with only one ski instead of two skis up front for stability. The parallels would be like from a 4wheeler to a motocross bike. The problem with snowhawk, however, is that the track and ski don't bite nearly as well as a motocross bike when you're leaning into corners. Think of it like driving a motocross bike on a dry loose gravel road. Try to lean into a corner and it will fly out from under you. Snowhawk: great idea, but just not feasible. So they didn't sell very well and are now gone.

Now this product is very similar to those track add-ons for 4-wheelers. They work ok-ish on a 4-wheeler because a 4-wheeler is LIGHT, and wherever you can go with a 4-wheeler with those on, you can get to with a snowmobile to beat down a path that it can get out along. On top of that, the 4-wheeler conversions are much better, since they actually REPLACE the wheels, rather than interfacing with them in a complex unreliable manner as these do. So what we have here is another wacky invention to try and survive, but more than likely, a complete flop.

Which basically puts ADBoivin out of business, since nobody was buying their suspensions any more, nobody was buying snowhawk, and nobody is going to buy this.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

They look to be very lightweight but easy to put on and off.
    Like it was mentioned these guys are from the snow machine world and on their last leg in that industry. The Sno Hawk was a cool machine and a hoot to ride but have/had too many limitations, they were strictly a "toy" for the guy who had many toys.

Matttracks: http://www.mattracks.com/vehicles/select-by-vehicle/index.shtml?tab=2#VTabbedPanels1 have the market when it comes to putting tracks on vehicle but they're a chore putting on and off the vehicle. They're also spendy too, I seen to remember $10k plus for a pickup.