1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How about this idea

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Oct 16, 2011.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A lot of guys try and hire sub contractors or employees and try and call them independent contractors . So he's a thought that I'm going to check into.Most places have some type of temp agency,but if you call them you get what ever is is or if they even have anyone capable to do the job. I'm wondering if you can make a deal with the agency to "hire" the guys you want to work for you ,this way they are responsible to make sure all taxes are paid and these guys will know from the beginning they don't work for you. I know you have to pay a small premium for this ,but it will cut out any trouble down the line if you get an audit for the State or IRS. Thoughts?

2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

You might be on to something.....

3. johnsullbark

johnsullbark Junior Member

temp agency

What temp agency are you talking about? One for a driver only or one with a truck and plow? I plan on traveling this year and I am looking for all the contacts I can find.

Thanks

4. grandview

Both, Just been thinking about it.

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think companies can request certain guys from temp agencies. I have a friend that works for one, and that's how I understand it. But if just depends on what is all going on at the time.

6. grandview

What I'm trying to get at is, someone hires you and tell you that your an IC and they think employee and might pay you cash or something. This way you pay the temp service what they were going to make plus their fee .They temp then does all the backroom stuff for you and you get the bill and write it off and not trying to figure out how to pay cash and fudge your books for the money. See where I'm trying to go with this?

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

In theory it sounds like a win - win. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be appealing to the agency, because it covers both ends of their service & they don't have to expend their time & resources for placing those workers.

8. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

What about just using a Payroll service? At my part-time job (if you could even call it that...) they use Paychex. Every week the office person goes online and enters the hours worked for each employee, and then Paychex figures all the taxes and everything out and sends out the checks. Then the employer gets a bill for how much they owe for the payroll plus their services. I know that in the event of a payroll audit by the IRS, the payroll company will stand behind their work and act as your representative with the IRS and if theres any errors found on their end, they hold themselves accountable for it at no cost to you. So that basically leaves you in control of your employees or ICs if you want to call them that for tax purposes, you're taking the middle man out of the equation (the temp agency), and you dont have to worry about keeping your books.

9. grandview

Ideally yes, but more so as a little insulation between company and IC.This way there is no doubt that he does not work for you and the IRS comes back and said he's an employee of yours.

10. M.McDaniel

M.McDaniel Member

Most of those places have huge ego's and want you to follow every little corporate detail they have, so not having a set schedule will be a major stumbling block to get around. You could probably pull it off at an independent operation.

11. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

GV that's a good idea. I know people who work for a temp agency and then work full time at company X.
    Most have to take a certain amount of hours off per year otherwise they could be considered full time employees who then should receive benefits from company X. Not sure if you would plan on having someone full time summer and winter or as seasonal

12. duane1982

duane1982 Member

There's a place in rochester that does this.

Works pretty well for some people.

13. CS-LAWNSERVICE

CS-LAWNSERVICE Member

Temp agencys seem to charge between 35- 50 percent so if your hiring a 10 an hour man then your going to pay 13.50 -15.00 an hour for him .
    Is 3.50 to 5.00 an hour worth that insulation between your company and a sub ?

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

that's great for employees, but there are very special requirements for Sub-contractors.

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

We have places called Labor Ready here in Raleigh. Guys show up in the morning and wait for somebody to come by and take them to work for the day. The contractor pays Labor Ready and they pay the worker after taking small cut or something like that. I think you're on to something GV, but a lot of those temp works are not the people I want around my house or equipment.

16. CS-LAWNSERVICE

CS-LAWNSERVICE Member

the temp agency's here do back ground check and drug screening before they even think about placing a person with a company ,so that cuts a bit of the risk

17. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Thought about something. What about getting them to sign a non compete

18. grandview

I'm not saying hire their people. I mean see if you can send the people you want to work for you but have the temp agency do all the work for you.As for pay if you have them on the books your going to pay just as much .

19. CS-LAWNSERVICE

CS-LAWNSERVICE Member

OK that makes a bit more sense to me I was not all the way awake when I read it I guess.

I would think it would be no problem as the temp agency would get there money all the same with out the hassle of trying to screen people for jobs if you told them you had the person already

20. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

This actually sounds like a great idea. Pre-approved workers, paychecks, workers compensation and everything else that comes with having employees are removed and placed on the sub agency. Only 1 bill to pay, and taxes are being paid making you a even more of a responsible business owner.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011