1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"How About A Winch"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Have any of you guys thought about mounting a winch on the ole truck?
    I use to do a lot of off roading when I was a bit younger and that winch use get me out of alot of jams
    But where whould you mount it Maybe the rear bumper??
    Just a thought ...or are there any other tricks on how to get unstuck
    xysport <--------------------May be wigel a bit LOL

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I saw a guy plowing cabin roads, that had a winch mounted in the bed of his truck. He used it to free him self all the time, just hook up to the nearest tree. Might not be very practical for use in town . (nothing to hook to...)

3. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

you can always stick the winch in your reciever hitch

4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

bed of truck is the only place suitable on my truck with the plow on.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

We always keep big Rachet straps in the truck just in case we gotta pull it out, or if the PUMP breaks

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I've always got a set of rachet straps and tow heavy duty come-a-longs!

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I've have done a lot of 4-Wheeling and extracting trucks out of snow banks etc,, etc,,. Even trying to get a Jeep unstuck with a 1 ton come-a long and ratchet strap will not do the gob.. let alone a full size truck with plow.
    So have you really gotten your self unstuck with a ratchet strap?
    Or are you hoping it will do the job?

8. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

ratchet strap might be handy if the come along doesnt reach, but you need one hefty comealong to pull a truck out lol... a winch is a good idea and imight consider it...but where do you put it with a plow on the front and a sander on the back??

9. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

hmmmmmmm...Yaa where do you mount the winch??

If you do run a sander or salter on the back...What if you offset the winch at the back...so it pulls from the left or right hand side of the rear bumper
    Just my thought...You would have to lose your shinny chrome bumper and get your welding skills going ...A cut of say 10 " channel for your bumper to start... with some good heavy duty brackets...a plate for the winch..2 good gussets and i think it would work...What do you think??

10. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

if ya dont think a comealong will get ya out Ill send ya pics. I burried my 2500 to the frame in sand was up north.......no one around. Closest tree was almost 200 ft away. Thank god im a tree climber and have a ton of rope. Well anyways.....three hours later my truck was back out.......ya just gotta know how to use one......pulleys add much capacity to a come along. If I could get it out of the sand im sure itd be even easier out of the snow.

11. Bob Pro

Bob Pro Junior Member

I think that the spreader would throw salt all over the winch if it was on the back.

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I use the ratchet straps for extra length and have a 20 ton (something crazy like that???) come-a-long. I have never pulled my truck out, but pulled my friend's F150 and 7.5' Fisher out of a rut that made the plow frame drag. It took both of us, but we got it out. Just put the come-a-long around a tree and attached it to one of those tow hooks that goes into the hitch receiver (another great tool to have!) and popped it right out. It took both of us to turn the come-a-long, but we got it. It works wonder on my Ranger mudder that weighs in at like 1400 lbs lol!

13. addicted

addicted Senior Member

on my jeep, the winch cable just clears the top of the plow. I actually needed to drag a customer out of a drift last sunday.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I hear ya..:waving: I have an pintle hitch in my receiver..:cry: lol..
    I never had much luck with a come-a-long though.. most you see are the little ones 1 to 2 tons..
    Now a good Hi-lift jack can pull!! And lift!! You can slide a pipe over the handle for even more leverage.:nod:

PowersTree."ya just gotta know how to use one......pulleys add much capacity to a come along."

Yes, I have a modest 4ton pulley some 30ft&100ft piece of cable and 20ft of chain and a good Hi-lift jack and I do know how it use it. You can use them in more ways than a come-a-long.:waving:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  15. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Hi Lifts are very nice tools to have.....I own one also....but it is mounted to my trail ride. The times I needed it the most I dont have it....but there is always a come-along in the work truck. As far as the time I was speaking of I had nearly 600 ft of rope used. I used 3 pulleys to tripple the pull of the come along.....made for a very SLOWWWWW proscess but worked when I had no other options but walking 20 miles or so to town.

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

In the right hands like yours they can work with the right knowledge. But what I see all the time is the guy with an 1 1/2 ton come-a-long with a Single line to a tree.:dizzy: trying to pull him self out .. good luck with that!! lol If thats all it takes to get you out were you really stuck to begin with???:D

What works for one, may not for another, there are many ways to free a stuck vehicle. like using a shovel...

My favorite method for freeing a truck when plowing is, another truck lol...

17. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

when were plowing I have 7 other trucks a Nextel away so it would be pointless.......shoveling will do the trick alot of the time too.....