1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How About A 10' X-blade?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by DESTEFANO3782, Dec 20, 2006.

1. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

Anybody Know If They Will Make A 10 Footer To Put On The F450's And F550's?? I Think They Have Plenty Of Power To Push Them. Any Comments????????

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Doubt it, that big of a blade is designed to go on a vehicle that can put out a lot of abuse on it. That plow, skin and framing, isn't designed to handle the abuse that is output by that kind of vehicle....that's what the MC series is for.

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I think the MC series is way beefier than the Xblade. I wouldn't put an X or the new V on any of the 550's I have because they wouldn't stand up to what the MC does.

4. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

yea, there is a huge difference price for the mc too.. would you put a 10 ft mc on a f550

5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'd do it, myself, but I bet most would say to go with the 9'.

6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Have you ever seen a M/C series plow up close and in person? They are impressive when compared to the HD's, X's & Ext. V's. Everything is so much beefier there is no comparison.

I would not put a 10' M/C on one of my 550's for doing private plowing. I might give some consideration to trying it on a municipal only truck.

7. LON

LON Senior Member

You know that there is only a 6000 FGAWR axle on a 550? It is pushing close to max w/ a 9ft MC series. We do have to abide to the FMVSS you know.

8. LON

LON Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  9. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

IMO, the MC is very nice plow for F 550 (9') if using on parking lots, municipal plowing, or any plowing that you will have plow down most of the time or higher speeds. I have a 9' X- blade that is over four years old on my F 550 with no problems with the plow on this truck. I also, bought the 9.5 Extreme V this year which i can't wait to see how it works out. Looks like a beefy plow. Both my F 550's also have sanders on them. IMO the X-blade or Extreme-V are best for me as we do alot of condos and commercials that require constant up and down on the plow. IMO I think the MC plow would be to much for my applications and may mess up and wear the front end more quickly on the truck. A 10' would be to big and hard to maneuver around. Though, for municipal plowing, it would work out well. Have seen them used for such purpose. As for 10' X-blade, do not think it would be strong enough, unless they make it alot beefier.

Rob

10. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Really? The 10' doesn't weigh all that much more than the 9' though.

11. LON

LON Senior Member

We just finished a GMC 5500 4x4 Duramax/Allison for a customer and the thing really should have a 10FT MC on it to clear the wheel track but Fisher allows only a 9ft in the MC series. I took it across the certified scales and the split weigh came in at 8380# front, 5120# on the rear w/ me in it :mad: . The truck has a 8000# FGAWR and there can be 6000# legally put into it but how much of that 6000# is going to transfer to the front axle once loaded. Guess I'll soon find out.

12. 351crules

351crules Member

mine has a 7,000 lb front axle rating

13. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

What kinda of body? What length chassis? Crew or single?

My 152" single, 11' steel flatbed only weighs 7350 on the front and 4250 on the rear with a 10' Boss V....

I would put a 10' MC on it in a second. I would prefer a 11' or 12' though.. An 11' V would be nice though.. This is 44" of snow:)

127353564_413179901_0.jpeg

14. LON

LON Senior Member

The truck has a Henderson Mark 3 10ft 304SS crossmemberless dump body w/ a central hydraulic system, Fisher MC 9 and a Henderson RTS replacement tailgate spreader. Truck was weighed with nothing in the body, since this is just one of the ways DOT would weigh it and I have to certify the truck as per state law. Here is a pic -
    [​IMG]

15. LON

LON Senior Member

here's one we did earlier that had an 11ft body and rear fuel tank. This one was just under max on the front axle.
    [​IMG]

16. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I want that truck! I havent seen anyone around here running that body...i like it alot!

17. LON

LON Senior Member

couple more for you to see
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Lon, nice looking trucks, but that 9' MC is pretty small for it

19. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Does the 9' clear the tire tracks on a turn? It does look small.

20. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

add wings!!!!!