1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hours on a cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bradhow79, Feb 13, 2012.

1. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

About how many hours are you guys getting out of your formed edges? Seems like mine have worn oftly fast.
    Thanks, Brad

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Some years I get one season on them,this year I'll get more then 2. It all depends on ground condition.If your getting a lite snow and your scrapping blacktop you'll burn it out fast.

3. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I always felt good about replacing the edges if I wore them done and didn't break them, cause that ment money, money, money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Usually I get 1 1/2 seasons on mine, gonna make 2 with this years no snow winter

5. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

Is a season 100 hours? 50 hours?

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depends if your seasonal or per push,I hope only 1 hr for the season!

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

My originals went 10 years[still actually 30-40% life left] so these new beefy formed ones probably 15 years I'd say.

8. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Uhhh really? A season is....... Oh forget it

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Seen this thread So I called my friend and ask him
    He bought V plow and has the formed edges and his wearing pretty fast 1 1/4'' was gone after first push of 10 hrs he work He figure he had at least 9 hrs of wear + the snow was wet and heavy and he was cleaning down to the pavement
    So far this year he has about 35 hrs wear (3 snow fall events) all been wet snow falls He said it needs to be replace only has 3/4'' left on it
    The next edge He is going put on wear edges to slow wear down
    I tried to talk him in letting me make a edge for his plow He said maybe after this next edge

My advise to you brad add some wear bars or run shoes

10. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

seems like i maybe have 40 hrs on this set with an inch of wear left,for the price it seemed excessive,just wondering what others are expierencing,also i mentioned hours because snowfall totals per season and total lowable events vairy so wiedly. Thanks to those with constructive comments.
    Brad

11. Antlerart06

I understand you
    I just wonder what type of steel they are using to make them before they harden them Might be reason they dont wear long

New steel
    Recycle steel

12. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Way too many variables, we figure 100hrs but we just do parking lots if you were to do roads you could probably cut it at least in half

13. Rain Man

Rain Man Senior Member

I get about 80 to 100 hrs on them

14. Antlerart06

My homemade edge 5/8x8'' Im going keep track of it this time
    So far 17 hrs
    its MVP center lost 1/2 outside lost 1/4''
    My 8.6 has 32 hrs lost 3/4 even wear

15. GA73

GA73 Member

got six years out mine. figure thats good because i used to break at least 3 sets a winter of the old ones. never wore out a set of them

16. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

As stated above, it really depends on what you're plowing!
    On trucks that we plow streets with we get 1 Season out of them
    Driveway trucks 2-3 seasons...

17. bmlitton

bmlitton Junior Member

Boss claims the steel used is AR450, which is stronger than AR400. I wore 1 set out in just one snow. We think the concrete is acting as a grinding wheel.

18. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

What? No way, what does the lot have a heavy broom finish on it? Even then I can't see eating up an edge in one night

19. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

It's hardened steel, how did you manage to wear a whole cutting edge in one storm?

20. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I'm baffled by this as well. Seems a little outlandish, I'm calling shenanigans!!