1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hours of Life in a Tractor

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by NBSnowGuy, Aug 13, 2009.

1. NBSnowGuy

NBSnowGuy Member

I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger tractor to run my snowblower this winter. The particular machine I'm looking at is a 1987 Massey 3505 with 6000 hours pulling implements on a potato farm.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these tractors, or tractors like it. In particular I'm wondering what major repairs I can expect to need to do. I'm assuming the clutch will need to be done, but what about major transmission, pto and engine work. The tractor has no loader.

2. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Tractors live long lifes if taken care of. I've seen 20,000 hours as a kid growing up on a farm.

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

How about some PICS..................

4. NBSnowGuy

NBSnowGuy Member

Here is a picture for you:

2368e99_20.jpeg

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

We have to Jd's on the farm with over 4k on them. I've seen 20k+ on tractors before. Normal maintenance and an operator that doesn't beat the crap out of everything makes them last a long time.

6. NBSnowGuy

NBSnowGuy Member

What major work would hve to be done on the road to 20k? Would that be maybe 2 or 3 engine rebuilds?

7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

3 or 4 is a good guess.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Lots of engines around with 10k+ on them. Once they get over 3k the well maintaned tractors will still work well but the abused and regulary serviced will be nothing but a problem. My highest hour tractor has 1300 hrs and it's still like brand new.

9. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Now that's the truth. I've seen em with over 20K run by one operator and they still would not run a newer one. It kinda grows on you.

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Lets put it this way.

Somebody has already gotten the best 6000 hours out of that tractor.

11. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Is that true? The underlined part. Irregularly I agree I usually try to deal them after warranty myself. Depends on the market. But I do know if you get a good one don't let er go.

1300 hours is like new in my world.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

In all honestly we have owned very few tractors with over 2k on them and our tractors are serviced way more then needed, so I really shouldn't comment on high houred tractors. I do know that I can list a lot more JD's with 10k plus hours still working thern any other brand. :drinkup:

13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I dont know too too much about tractors, but all i know is my little 06 chevy gasser has over 3800 hrs on it and its work hard since day 1... 4 seasons plowing and 4 seasons towing everysingle day and it still runs like a top... im thinking 2 more seasons or 5-6000 hrs and then i'll unload it... To some sucker that will have to drop a whole bunch of money into it rebuilding everything... Something like i think you'll be doing... Even if its not the hours, that thing is 23 years old! It should be on a pension plan!

14. NBSnowGuy

NBSnowGuy Member

The age of the machine doesn't really concern me. I have run much older machines that were very reliable. Tractors don't waste away over time the same way a truck would.

I'm still on the fence about the hours. I may buy it and keep my current tractor as a backup.

JD Dave. It must be nice to run all new equipment. I don't think I've ever even sat in a 1300 hour tractor. Unfortunately I don't have the accounts to justify buying a nice new Deere, but maybe I'll build up to it.