1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly using their equipment?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by acersnow, Nov 22, 2011.

1. acersnow

acersnow Junior Member
    from WI

I've got an apartment complex to bid on. They'd like just an hourly rate (they know how long it should take) using their equipment. This is sidewalks and stairs only. They have snowblowers, shovels, salters, and a tractor with a blower for long sidewalk stretches.

I've never bid on anything where the equipment was supplied. I'm assuming I need go low since this strictly just a labor cost bid. Any thoughts? Or even rate suggestions? I'm in WI.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So they are hiring you as a part time seasonal worker? I guess another employee/sub contractor thread is starting!

PS about 10 bucks an hour.
  3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I would politely decline. They are going to be a pita anyway. If you have your own snow equipment walk away and make some good money on another job.

4. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I see this is your first post. Welcome to plowsite.

If you're just starting out and don't have the equipment or experience they are going to pay you between $7.50 and $10. You're pretty much acting as a day laborer.

In my area apartment complexes and other developments that have there own equipment average $9 an hour per guy for a sidewalk crew.
  5. peterng

peterng Senior Member

If you have a minute you set your terms and get back to them. Not enough info to let you know. Are you responsible for monitoring for traction control? I'd tell them 1/2 hour minimum charge $35/hr for labour with no equipment. That might begin to make it worth thinking about.
  6. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

are you the only one doing the sidewalks or are you responsible for hiring a crew??

how are they going to pay you are you getting a W-2 or a 1099?? what happens if you get hurt on the job, your workmans comp or their???

i would ask those questions first...