1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly subs on Per-Inch accounts.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MileHigh, Sep 15, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I have some guys I wanna sub out to...and they wanna get paid hourly like most subs around here...Problem is there are most likely to be taking care of a per-inch/per storm lot with a 2 inch trigger.

I get paid depending on how much snow falls...but have to push every two inches.

2-4
    4.1-6
    6.1-8
    8.1-10
    10.-12
    >12

Should I just tell them that if they want this work they will just have to get paid in the same fashion I do?...or do you guys just make sure that they get the job done in a certain time frame or there canned?...

I'm thinking they should just get a percentage.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Guys we use on routes mixed in with our trucks get paid hourly, guys who take lots for which they are completely responsible for get a percentage of the billing........Who's salting it? Sidewalks? Are they insured? Do you completely trust their judgement, can/will they accept direction from you in the event they aren't servicing to your standard?

3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I subbed when I first started. Many were for larger property management companies (not nationals) and they always paid a percentage on the per push stuff.

My route was mixed with hourly and per push.

4. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

Just get good subs who will not be dicking around on you and who take pride in their work. You could end up better off paying hourly......as long as you have good help.

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

I work hourly as a sub for a guy who bills out per inch fallen. If you priced your lots out right and have good drivers you should have no problem paying them hourly

6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I wish I was paid per inch for being a sub. As long as you get good guys you should be fine paying by the hour. I know where your coming from though, good help is hard to find.
    Robert

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Guys that get paid by the hour usually do a better job. They spend the extra 5 minutes to tuck the corners and clean up the trails.

8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If your getting paid every two inches then pay them a percentage of the 2 inch trigger. It would be the same as paying the by the hour. Plus if you pay them a percentage, it doesn't matter if they do it fast or slow, you control your own profit margins.

9. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

If you want to possibly pay a guy $300 for a lot on which you got $250 then pay by the hour.

We pay our subs however we get paid - by the hour, by the inch, by the push, by the bag, by the application...etcetera. We all make money at the same time.

10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

x2 and if they cant get it done in the alloted time, you know you need to find someone else to do it.

11. PatrickC

PatrickC Senior Member

Either way would work, and if you need another sub and shoveler let me know Patrick @ acurratecut@yahoo.com we are in the Park Meadows area and have F350 Crew Cab with Curtis w/wings.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If there is a chance I could pay an hourly guy 20% more then I'm getting he either needs to learn how to plow or get fired or I need to learn how to estimate.