1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly Rates???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by black95gt, Aug 3, 2004.

1. black95gt

black95gt Junior Member

What does everyone Charge for an hourly rate?

I have a 2003 f-250 and will be putting on a 8' plow and was thinking $65-75/hr

Also have a snowblower and a friend that would run that. I was thinking pay him $15/hr and charging $30/hr for that service.

Does this sound to high or low? Please let me know

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

The other parts sounds good but 65-75 hr to do what pkg lots
  3. black95gt

black95gt Junior Member

Yes, I was thinking $65-75 an hour to do parking lots/driveways using the truck, or approximately $15 for a driveway basing it on 5 min. to push the driveway and 10 min. in between jjobs. I have a friend in Lincoln Ne, and he said they charged $100 an hour to push with the truck, but the competition around here wouldnt be that high, so im figuring me worth $30-$35hr, and the truck to be $30-$35 an hour. Does this sound to high or to low? I want to be able to compete with everyone, but dont want to undercut myself either.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

To be honest with you, for $35/hr I'd just as soon leave the truck parked in my driveway and sit at the table drinking coffee. I charge "per push", but I'm averaging $100/hr. And I have plenty of competition like you're talking about. Heck, I lost one the other day to a guy who traded pushing snow for haircuts for the family. Lost one a couple years ago to another guy who traded plowing a local restaurant for meals. I'm not even going to try to compete with that. Before I go down to that level, I'll quit plowing and just do my own driveway.

The problem with figuring you're worth $30 like you said, is that this means you driving someone else's truck. No one is paying that and you wouldn't pay a driver that.
  5. black95gt

black95gt Junior Member

That is exactly what im talking about. Im not going to do trade-offs, and i would do it according to the push. But i guess what i am asking is if i go to a house and do their driveway and it takes me 5 min, what do i charge them. $15? $20? I am hoping to get a few home owner accounts as well as a few commercial accounts. I would also like to maybe sub-contract myself out to the big guys as well. If i do that using my own equipment, what do i charge? will somebody pay me that $65/hr for me and my truck, or would they be really low-balling me like at $30/hr for me and my truck. I am getting good info here, so keep it coming. I appreciate it.
  6. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Around here the going rate for a sub is between $60 - $80. The best thing is find a 'friend' in the area and 'talk' about business. This is the #1 best way to feel out business in your area. As for dirveways, consider this: what would you pay for your service? What would deem as fair pricing if someone was to plow you out? It appears that you are new to this, so yor best bet would be to hook up with a contractor so they can learn how long everything takes so you can learn how to price stuff more accurately. Just my two cents...
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

While you're at a residence figuring how long it will take, don't forget travel time. For instance, I have one that I do first; I have to drive about 15 minutes to it, then 15 back to the next one. The place itself takes about 10 minutes with a 6" snow. So, if I figured $100/hr that would be $16.66. But they've taken 40 minutes of my time. Maybe you wouldn't want to charge $100/hr for travel time, but your time, gas etc has to be figured in. Maybe half the charge for plowing (or $25 for the 1/2 hr drive in this example) for a total push charge of $41.66 (rounded to $40). This is why "per hour" doesn't always work well.

Hopes this helps. It's how I do it, anyway. I had to come up with something since this is a rural area and lot of people are long distances from each other. My "route" is actually about 30 miles from East to West. Sometimes it's nice being the boss and having flexibility.
  8. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

Hi just my 2 cents I charge min $25.00 and up .after you get stuck a few times and out in all the bad weather at all hours of the day and night plowing for 24 hours straght you will wished you had charged more, they are sleeping sound in there beds and will not think one minute about you or your break down or cost to repair . Also when they call my wife says min $25.00 it get rid of people that want it done for $10.00 or $15.00
  9. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

I live in ohio and the going market rate is about $65-70 per hour. I do figure in driving time above that. I wihs i could charge $100 per hour or more, but it isnt going to happen where i live. I just get as much as i can!!!!!! Driveways are plowed by the hour depending on how long they take figuring how much snow there is. Also the minimun i will charge to drop a plow is $25. Snowblowing with commercial lots is also $65-$70 per hour above snow plowing.
    Good Luck
  10. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Here in Anchorage, the big boys hire you for $45-50 an hour.. $55 tops..

Driveways go for $20-25 a push..
  11. black95gt

black95gt Junior Member

Thanks Everyone for your imputs. It is making this alot easier for me. I do already have a couple of lots that i am doing for $40-$45 a push and it will take about 1/2 hour each depending on how many cars are in the lot at the time. i live in a town that i can get from one end to the other in 5-10 min. and then there are some rural accounts that i could do as well. But when i do figure a bid, i will do it so that it includes the drivetime in my hourly figure.
  12. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and this thread has given me some good insight. I am from Central Ohio and this is my second year of plowing. I have been in the Lawncare business since 1998 and figured I would take the leap. Learning alot so far hope to learn quite a bit more.