1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly Rates

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rnblase, Nov 28, 2003.

1. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Can any one tell me How much to charge for Bulk Salt per Ton?

For large Commercial lots

Also what would you recomend for the Hourly rate of pickup trucks and Bobcats

Thank You
    Rick

2. AMAC

AMAC Junior Member

???

Rick, I just talked to a guy w/ U.S. Lawns and he says that he gets $40.00-$50.00 an hour for his trucks. I have no idea about the bobcat. Please let me know when you get the answers to these questions, I am seeking the same info. by the way- I'm in Cape Girardeau, Mo

3. DadnSon

DadnSon Junior Member

I charge $70 per ton with my cost being $46 per ton (prepaid for 50 tons) at a profit of $24 per ton. But, the cost per ton will go up if I am applying less than a ton.

Skid steer charge is $150.00 per hour

I have one large commercial account that takes 2 of us a total of 3.0 - 3.5 hr's to push (4" or less) and 45 min's. to do walks but, won't divulge my rate on here. So, email me if you would like to know.

4. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

I have been charging 75.00ph for trucks and 180.00per ton for salt.

I think I might be high on my salt.

In the past two years I have bid on some very large projects and keep getting out bid by other companys.

It seems as though the prices are all over the board.

Rick
    2003 GMC 2500HD Duramax

5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

prices

Rick,
    I plow southwest of you out on I-44 at sullivan. Out here we get about $65.00/hour for trucks. Most of my lots have a set bid at a per push price on 2" incriments and I use an ATV for my sidewalks(would probably consider using skidloader because of the cab if I had one). Over the years their has been several guys using skid loaders & small tractors with loaders but they just don't last from year to year. I like to think of them as weekend warriors. I don't know about your salt prices, because I have a tailgate spreader. Rick I think your about right on your prices, I love to plow snow but you have to make money at it. ;)
    jared

6. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

around here we're getting 125.00 an ht for trucks and subs get 50.00-75.00 an hr.

Salt is going at 150.00- 200.00 a ton

7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

DadnSon your application rate sound a little on the low side... we are salting in livonia, plymouth, and northville, and we are getting 115-130 per ton applied...make sure you are covering all of your expenses....

8. DadnSon

DadnSon Junior Member

big bad ram2500, I just started plowing on my own this year but, plowed for my brother and friends the past 10 yr's.
    For smaller commercial lot's I was quoting $105 a ton and for large lot's $90 and losing out because I was too high (seen the other bids).

After adjusting to the rate I listed on my previous post, I started signing people up.

I've sent you a PM describing my new marketing solution.

9. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Little green guy is set right.. You need at least 100.00 hr. per truck to make a profit.

You guys are competing with lowballers who plow for fun.

I'll park the plow first, I have better things to do than plow for free.

:nono:

A marketing plan of eating each other alive isnt a very good option....

10. Sno

Sno Senior Member

AMAC... At 45 - 50.00 per truck...Just wait awhile and you can pick his equipment up on the cheap...

He is working at a loss.

Or

He drives junk, gets free gas, the plow hardly works and he pays no insurance and doesnt mind working for free and loves wrenching on his own equipment 24 hrs a day.

Then, he may make 5.00 hr for freezing his butt off, unless of corse you include the time repairing his equipt..

Sounds like a loss to me....

Last edited: Dec 12, 2003
  11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Little Green Guy nailed it for this area.

Subs are getting $60-$75 (and have been for years) I hear some guys bragging that "I plow at this shopping center and get $60/hr to plow, I'm raking it in Tommy" I just say "OK, whatever" and continue on as my hourly rate is anywhere between $120-$200/hr, and I apply salt at $0.23 per pound. So thats $460/ton. Now I don't get it nearly as cheap as you bulk guys, but bulk wouldn't work for me. My cost for that ton of bagged salt is $125 So I'm making $335/ton.

12. shep2004

shep2004 Junior Member
    from Indiana

snow rates

I sub-contract for Hittle Snow Company Inc. out of Westfield, IN and they pay $57.00 an hour for straight p/u with plow.