1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly Rates

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by timblatt, Aug 31, 2010.

1. timblatt

timblatt Junior Member

What is the average hourly rate this year. I'm in reading, pa and I charge $80 per hour do you think this is high or low

2. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

I charge $90 per hr. 3/4 ton with 8' blade.

3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

rates vary so much so it's kind of a pointless question to just throw out there...IMO.

but in rochester, I'm far below that hourly rate, but of course, my pick-ups don't mean much to me as most of my money is made by the large pieces of iron that we have.

4. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

That is correct! I would also add that anyone less then $60 anywhere is too cheap for the industry! (Lowballer)

5. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member
    from Ohio

Ok... I would like to know what you have included in your hourly rate... is that simply wages or do you factor your fuel, insurance, etc... We have an hourly set rate.. but we build our bids by factoring in % above our wages for these items... Thanks.

6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member
    from Ohio

I should clarify... we add a % for covering our insurances, fuel and any repairs/etc... in addition to the bottom hourly rate... We consider the hourly a "base" but wondered how you viewed it? THanks...

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Isn't Erie Pa. at 35.00 an hour?

8. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member
    from Ohio

Grandview, That is what I wondered, but yet I hear that the hourly rate national average is way above $80... So, go figure And we were told our "base" rate of $65 (before fuel, insurance and repairs) was considered far below the national standard... So, my question, What does that mean??? Truly... My standard in Ohio is not going to relate to you in NY...

9. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

So they say! I wouldn't plow with anything except maybe a lawn mower for those prices! LOL I hope when people are setting their hourly rate they are taking into consideration the cost of doing business, How could you even afford $35.hr if you were working out of your garage??

10. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

( ff610 )In Des Moines, they are plowing places for $55 for commercial and $15 for drives, Soon it will be $35, But then again they bid it by the hour and then jack their hours & Materials to do it on these commercial properties an get away with it. For example there's a clown here that charged this Property management company 30 tons of sand for one of their lots. They supposedly fired him an hired us for the next season. We barley used 13 tons a time and they were in love with us did everything right. Then the next season after that they gave it back to that clown because his prices were lower again an he swore he wouldn’t screw them again!! LOWBALLERS!! an scam artists, that’s what this town has turn into.

11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

And a Seasonal contract on a Lowes goes for like $79.95...:eek:

12. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

just like Macco's old slogan, but instead of will paint your car for $59.95 will plow your property for $55.55!!

13. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I am in the near west suburbs of Chicago. Rates here are $65/hr with 8.5' or less. $70 with 9' & up.

14. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

Are these prices as a sub? Or prices you charge the customer directly?

15. Sawboy

Sub prices. Getting back in this year after a six year hiatus, so I wanted to get some steady, no thought work for the first year or so to cover startup costs, so I will be subbing for someone. When I was on my own, I did per push pricing, and I averaged about $140/hr over the course of a season.

16. bartelamia

bartelamia Junior Member

Da Man

:dizzy:$140 sounds good .$35 would be your in-laws:laughing:

17. Sawboy

I had small lots, auto repair shops, pizza places etc. Priced em right, and cleaned em real good. Never had an issue. Got out because of job change.

18. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I sub under my unlce. I plow roads and get 110/hr. Thats for an 8'6" and spreader. Plow only is 85/hr. He has one spreader he leases to a guy and he get 95/hr just cuz my unlces spreader is in his truck. Hopes this helps.

19. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i guess i'm borderline lowballer.

but i don't include insurance because that's what the construction company is for. snowplowing is stictly icing on the cake, so I can afford to do that. There is no overhead because I handling every aspect, and hell I even manage to make it out there every morning.

20. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Right, that's the difference. The difference is in the overhead and other cost to do business. If you work out of your garage, or nothing you save a ton. If you work as a sub you save a ton also and less headache. Oh the good 'ol days of doing a one man show.... Anyways that big difference in cost. Your contractor doesn't require you to have liability insurance??