1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly Rates For Payloader And Backhoes ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gary smith, Oct 15, 2007.

1. gary smith

gary smith Junior Member

How Much Should I Charge Per Hour For:
    Payloader
    Payloader With 12 Foot Pusher
    Backhoe
    Backhoe With A 12 Foot Pusher
    New Holland Skid 185 With A 10 Foot Pusher
    Dump With A 9 Ft. Plow 3 Yard Sander

I Am Pricing A Large Job By The Hour. Per There Request.
    I Would Like To Get An Idea On What Other Companys Charge Before I Submit A Bid.

Thanks
    Gary

2. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

I've been reading quite a few posts over the last year and some people seem to charge very little for loaders that cost an arm and a leg. In other words, a bobcat will get let's say $100/hr. The loader should then get around $200/hr or what the heck is it doing...not making any money because of the high cost. Don't give it away.

I know it's not easy, but if you don't get enough, might as well not use it.
    Consider this, some guys get close to $80/hr for just shovels...

Rates are so different around North America that you'll need someone from your own area on here to post to help you.

Around here, we get around $100/hr for a bobcat plus delivery time to the site and back to the shop. So if I put in 8 hrs, I get at least 10 and that's a given.

A front end loader will go for $180 to $220. A bobcat usually will cost 50k and a loader around 120 to 140k.

:)

3. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

snow pushers go 250 an hour for 12-18 footers, they do move a lot of snow and make sure your clients know that or else they will think your off your nut

same with larger rubbertire loaders 250 an hr for stacking or moving

backhoe straight out regular bucket never less that 125, more like 150 an hr

people are charging 95-115 an hr for skidsteer, which is low to me but what ive adapted to

triaxle dump for snow removal or relocation 150-200 an hr

mason dump with 9 foot plow at least 115 an hr, same for the spreader time, plus materials used
    8 foot plow on a pickup at least 85 an hour, hopefully more like 105 an hour, people keep killing the rates

im all for putting the prices out there to keep the state of the industry on an incline, people are out there selling truck time for 60 and 70 an hour, which heck in 1983 i was charging my clients 85 an hour per truck and my hoes got 200 an hr, and wish diesel was still 65 cents a gallon and my brand new ford cost me 18500 instead of 38k

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

it's good to hear your getting good money to plow, hopefully i'll be up in that range in the future..... are you sure your only 22 years old?

5. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

23 now hah, been around snow all my life, dad did it all his since the late 70s used to be a lot larger, had some malls and stuff, now its easier to sub

did a stint with brickman, learned a lot of pricing big stuff, ended up missing my own thing and came back to it

6. plow rates

We have seen a big jump this year.
    Drive that were 20-25 are now 30+
    The fuel costs last year hurt us and we have long drives between several routes
    (seems like we pass other drivers going back where we came from -- should trade)

A few years ago we were 60/hour and use a cooking timer.
    Now 80+ and start door to door for the 'on-call' business.
    We get a fair number of weekenders that didnt know it snowed up here
    while they were gone.

Dont know heavy equipment rates but guess they would be double summer rates.

btw we do some drives for meals-on-wheels gratus and it not only feels good
    they dont forget when asked for a referal
    makes up for the whiners and moaners in their escalades

tc

7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

wow, $150 for a dump truck?

Unless you live in an area that doesn't have many triaxles or moves fill and topsoil all winter long, you are getting hosed.

I can get them all night long for $55-$60 an hour in the winter. And $70-$75 in the summer for moving fill. They have no work in the winter.

If you had a dedicated salt truck and someone offered you a job using it to spread calcium for dust control, you can't expect to charge full pop when the machine isn't working, because there are lots of guys just happy to see their equipment work, even if for less.

8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

heavy equipment is cheaper in the winter because otherwise it's not working. I can get a rental from Komatsu at a fraction of the cost for my summer rate because other than snow, they sit in the yard.

9. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

theyre my triaxles and what i charge the client for snow REMOVAL, relocating snow out to my yard..there aint any single owner operator dump drivers out there picking up their own snow contracts, just to specialize in moving snow for the customer

as a contractor yes, i hire trucks for 250-350 an 8 hr day in summer or winter when i need help.

the client knows snow relocation is a rare service and my charges reflect this

a triaxle dedicated to hauling here costs me 1250 in registration, 650 in IFTA fuel tax, 600 in tires, 4800 in fuel (about 180 on a full work week) and 2200 in insurance per year

its a lot of overhead to be sitting around all winter, best try to make something good out of winter with them

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If your 23 now, how old were you in 1983?

11. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

about negative 4 months its a quote from the old man, who was 27 in 1983

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I figured, I quote the old man sometimes too.

13. C.Csnowdivision

C.Csnowdivision Junior Member
    from wyoming

snow pushers go 250 an hour for 12-18 footers, they do move a lot of snow and make sure your clients know that or else they will think your off your nut

same with larger rubbertire loaders 250 an hr for stacking or moving

backhoe straight out regular bucket never less that 125, more like 150 an hr

people are charging 95-115 an hr for skidsteer, which is low to me but what ive adapted to

triaxle dump for snow removal or relocation 150-200 an hr

mason dump with 9 foot plow at least 115 an hr, same for the spreader time, plus materials used
    8 foot plow on a pickup at least 85 an hour, hopefully more like 105 an hour, people keep killing the rates

im all for putting the prices out there to keep the state of the industry on an incline, people are out there selling truck time for 60 and 70 an hour, which heck in 1983 i was charging my clients 85 an hour per truck and my hoes got 200 an hr, and wish diesel was still 65 cents a gallon and my brand new ford cost me 18500 instead of 38k

Where in Montanna are you? I'm in Wyoming and was curious to compare rates

14. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I think our rates have been the same for the last 20 years. I kid you not those are the rtes in my area.

15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

From Landscape Ontario...

2010 Equipment Charge-out Rates

The following are standard equipment charge-out rates for the snow and ice management industry. Rates include the cost of related overheads, but do not include any cost for materials or stand-by fees*.
    These rates are suggested for company owned equipment; rental equipment should be treated as a subcontract.

3/4 ton pickup with plow and/or salter: $115/hr.
    Skid steer: $120/hr.
    Five-ton dump truck, including plow and/or salter: $140/hr.
    Agricultural tractor, 60 hp or less: $95/hr.
    Agricultural tractor, 60-90 hp: $130/hr.
    Agricultural tractor, 90-150 hp: $225/hr.
    Agricultural tractor, 150 hp plus: $300/hr.
    Loader, one-yard: $135/hr.
    Loader, three-yard: $300/hr.
    Tri-axle truck: $150/hr.

* Stand-by fees may increase the cost of a contract.:drinkup:

16. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

Man you can get equipment alot cheaper than that here.

17. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I wish we could get those rates too trust me.

18. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We get close to neiges rates. Some about 10-20% higher.

19. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

There are some high rates on this thread. I need to move. Triaxle dump or equivalent is getting $70 an hour without travel. Some guys are lowballing and going down to $65 an hour. I have them and use them all summer long. A full semi with aluminum box is $90-$95 an hour. No wonder I can't make any money around here!

20. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Vancouver B.C.
    1 ton w/plow $125.00 3 hr min
    +salter $155.00 "
    Bobcat $110.00-125.00 4 hr min
    3-5 ton w/plow $140.00-155.00 3 hr min
    all operators double time straight up = $48.00- 60.00 p/hr
    An Operator who never refuses work......Priceless.

Now all we need is some d#*n snow.
    :bluebounc :bluebounc snow dance for the Olympics:bluebounc :bluebounc