1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly Rate?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by murraysnow, Jan 7, 2010.

1. murraysnow

murraysnow Junior Member
    from morton

Hi guys i just wanted to see what you guys charged by the hour for snow shoveling, because a customer wants to know how much i would charge per hour to shovel some apartment complexs sidewalks. thanks guys
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I don't price anything by the hour.
  3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Then why reply to the question?:confused:
  4. Likely because nobody in their right mind would do it by the hour. Working by the hour removes all incentive to do anything more efficiently.

Are you using a shovel, a showblower, a ATV.
    Really all that matters is the cost of the job. Time is irrelevant.

If I told a customer I charged $250 a hour, he would think I was nuts. But $125 for the job that normally takes 1/2 hour is perfectly acceptable.

Do yourself a favor, quote a job price, not a hourly rate.
  5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Seems like common sense to me. As a rule, if you charge by the hour and it takes one hour to do the job that's all well and good. Then you get a bigger plow or snow blower, and it only takes you half the time, then your customer is going to want to pay half of what he was paying because it only took you half the time. Charging by the job eleminates all that.
  6. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

First of all, we don't do sidewalks unless we are doing the lot to. That being said I charge $40.00 per man hour with a 1 hour minimum. most of our walks take less than 15 minutes.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Becaus I COULD....my opinion is just as valid if not more then your response(or lack of a response to the question)...lmao :laughing:
  8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Do you have help?

Shoveling an apartment complex will be an undertaking. Based on your company size, you may want to pass on the job. You can be more profitable keeping your truck and salter working VS shoveling.

Getting back to your original question. Do you know your hourly costs for shoveling? If not, calculate your hourly costs based on your overhead and expenses, add profit and price the job. Costs per hour for everyone are different. Shoveling does require a truck to get there, labor, equipment (shovel or otherwise) and profit.

Don't want to sound like I am preaching, but know your costs and then price your job based on what your market bear. Good luck.

Check out www.profitsareus.com for a CD that calculates costs per hour of operation for your company based on your overhead, expenses and use-rates. The name of the CD is called "Know why you charge what you charge"