1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hourly rate question.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by badgerman, Nov 29, 2012.

1. badgerman

badgerman Member

I do drives mostly but i got a guy who has asked me to do 2 good size commercial lots with 1inch triggers they are his accounts and he wants to just pay me hourly and him pay for fuel which i have never done before and im not apposed to it but wondering if any one else had done any thing like this if so what is the rate for something like this? Thanks for the help

2. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Usually if you're subbing you'd pay for your own fuel, but if he is willing to, I wouldn't argue!

Rates for a pickup with a plow vary given the market as well as the specific truck/plow you have. Guys with a 7.5' straight blade may not get the same rate as a guy with an expandable scoop plow or a v-plow. I've seen rates as low as $45/hour Like I said it can vary greatly. The average is likely around $60/hour.

3. badgerman

badgerman Member

yea thats what i was told subs around here get usually 60 so if hes paying the fuel he offered 20 an hour to just me was just trying to figure out if i should ask for more or if this is worth the wear and tear on my truck and i got a superduty with 7.6 foot western straight blade.. Thanks for your reply i love this site its awesome, loaded with info i just joined

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good deal. Fuel included,,,,sweet. Yep hourly rates vary like the wind. Round the Chicago are. 50-90 hr but without fuel paid. So if it was me I might be a little flexable

5. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

$20 an hour to plow in your own truck, cover your own insurance and maintenance? I'll hire you in a second if you actually know how to start your trucks ignition...

That is the worst deal I have ever heard of.....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't start my truck for less than $70/hr

7. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I knew this thread would turn into one of these threads. nobody cares what you can get in your truck in your market. This guy is asking for some reasonable help. I would figure out what you would charge for your truck then figure out how much fuel your truck uses per hour. Subtract that from your normal rate. Add $5 or $10 and there's your rate. $20 seems way to low though.

8. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Do yourself a favor. STAY IN BED! If you are gonna lose money you may as well be sleeping. $20 an hour is a rip off. He's not even halfway there. Figure 2 gallons an hour in fuel.( i think that is high) He would be paying you $27 an hour for your own truck. That's decent money if you plow in his truck, not in your own.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Plumber, mechanics, etc get $125 @hour for their time and they aren't out in the ice and snow.

10. ducaticorse

from we

$20 for your own truck, maintenance and insurance is absurd in any market in this country. I can safely state that as fact.

And ps I was thinking the exact same thing as you when I read the first post, but then read about $20 bucks, and had to say something.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Throw out 70-80 an hour and you'll pay for your own gas.See then what he comes back at.

12. dieselss

In reply as well....I never saw the 20 an hour either

13. ducaticorse

from we

Phew!!! Thumbs Up

14. dieselss

Yea I think my reply came in while his was already done so I didnt see it
    And I can start my own tk,, I turn the crank real good !! Lol

15. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

This Thumbs Up

16. badgerman

badgerman Member

I get 60 for a sub me paying my own fuel but i do alot of drive ways so i burn extra fuel to and from so my next question was how many gallons on avg in a lot i would use someone all ready answered it he said 2 gallons that seems low to me and if that is the case then he is way off.. Whats an average fuel consumption in a lot? and on another note he offered me this and i thought it was a odd way of doing things so this is why im here asking questions about it. Thanks

17. grandview

Sounds like he'll be paying you cash and writing off the fuel for his business.

18. badgerman

badgerman Member

this is also a new set up so i really dont know how much fuel this truck will burn plowing.. its a superduty with 5.4.. any help on this?

19. dieselss

Well your fuel q? Needs some answers. Tk. Motor. Plow. Total weight. How big ate the lots. But there are still a lot of variables. But I can say on average 1/2 tank sounds about average

20. grandview

Before ethanol you could plow all night.At lest a half tank on a good night.