1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly Rate? Or by inch?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Pcupo12, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Pcupo12

Pcupo12 Junior Member

Good afternoon. To make a long story short. I have been landscaping for about 5 years now. We have an F250 diesel with a small meyers plow on it. We did mostly residential, and light commercial. We are just charging our commercial accounts $100 an hour, with a minium of 1 hour, and 16$ per bag of salt, spread. I was wondering how many other companies are just charging by the hour, or by the inch. What seems to work better for you guys? -Pete.
  2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I currently charge by the hour but I would love to move away from it. I would like to go to per storm or a seasonal price.
  3. Pcupo12

Pcupo12 Junior Member

I feel the same way. I just picked up an outback restaurant. The GM is my landscaping client. He said the last guy charges by the inch. I just dont see how that can work well for him. I know I get 100$ an hour in my truck. So I pay for fuel and the rest is profit.

Per push, or by the inch works great when you have very efficient equipment. It doesn't pay to buy efficient equipment when charging by the hour-it end up hurting you, unless you can charge a much higher hourly rate to cover it.

I prefer per push/per inch with a hourly rate it switches to in case of slush/ice/very heavy accumulation to cover my ass......