1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly rate on a backhoe

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MagLan, Dec 28, 2013.

1. MagLan

MagLan Member

I have added a backhoe with a 12' pro tech pusher to the fleet this season, and we do some hourly work with it. I'm looking for some ideas as to what anyone else with this setup are charging per hour??? I am in central IL, and I know the area greatly affects the response here. As a baseline, trucks run about $85/ hour on average for a 9'2" power V.

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

2. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

$115 to $130 in mass....4hr min(which I think is low for a 80K+ machine -JMO)

we get $100 per hr on avg (watchout lowballers) during the summer months
    12ft pusher is a good size for a backhoe, but makes it cumbersome to move site to site

3. vlc

vlc Senior Member

I get $100/hr with my little toro dingo :) I definitely need something bigger because I feel like I'm stealing money

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Off subject but.... No pictures of the new set up?!?!?

5. MagLan

MagLan Member

Thanks for the replies guys!! I was thinking ballpark $125.

Sorry no pics right now, it is on site in town from the last storm still...

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ah, ok.........

7. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

Anything that has an eng should be $100 min IMO
    3:00am - 15deg--30mph winds --snow flying sideways--Why am I doing this? Oh yea for that $100 an hour

8. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

$135-$140 is a good starting point.

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I used the Trojan wheel loader and 14' pusher last weekend for an emergency job (giant squeegee for water flooded parking lot lol), worked for 3/4 of an hr and he seemed thrilled when I told him $200 (equaling $267/hr). Normally I would be around $180/hr give or take, I don't really do hourly work with it for the most part.

Your machine is a little smaller, but I don't see any reason not to charge in the $125-150/hr range if you can get it. You should have an idea what your operating costs are...

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The 12ft pusher will plow easily twice as much as your pickup so asking 1.5 times he hourly rate your trucks gets isn't being greedy. Your better off trying to get away from hourly work as hourly doesn't pay you properly for being productive.

11. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I dont know how you can be less than $150 an hour to make it worthwhile, unless its an old backhoe

Im at $175 but I would never charge by the hour

12. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

I'm at $135 with no pusher box. Backhoes ain't cheap.

13. MagLan

MagLan Member

Yeah its an older 310d deere...about 25k invested in it. Thanks for the responses! This def gives me an idea!! We don't do much stuff hourly...only some custom stuff on occasion for another company.

14. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Defiantly have to be over 125 I'd go for 150, you know what it cost to have someone come out and repair a flat rear tire or blow hydraulic lines in the middle of the storm? Not cheap get what you need to make it worthwhile. It sucks plowing for a storm for free over a flat tire.

15. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

$150/hr minimum or stay home.

16. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

125 with out the pusher 150 with the pusher, 3 hour minimum charge.