1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly rate for f 550 dump with 8 foot plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Normskiboy, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Normskiboy

Normskiboy Junior Member

I have a ford f550 dump with 8 foot plow. Last year I was a sub but had to run around the city and only got payed when i dropped the plow. This year I would like to sub but stay at one location. What hourly rate do you think I should get. I live in northern Ohio. Thanks for any info.
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

That's a pretty small plow. I would probably be willing to pay a sub $55-65/hr for a combo like that. It's too big of a truck to do small lots with and it's too small of a plow to make hay on large lots.
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

blade is too small that truck could push a 9 or even a 10' easy.
    then I think you could get a good rate on it
  4. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

in jersey 85-150 and hour. you should be paid full rate for drive time
  5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Not getting 85 with a 8 foot plow
  6. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

Really should upgrade to a 9 or 10 foot. On my next 1 ton I will be running a 10 ft fisher
  7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

In Jersey as a sub, 80.00. If you have your own work about 135.00 average, or more. But with the 8 foot on a 550 I don't think anyone would hire you. At least put a set of wings on it.
  8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

What were you getting paid hourly before? You're less than a half hour from me. At best, 60/hour. That blade is at least a foot too narrow to make it usable.
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I agree.. we hire guys for $75-85/hr that don't have insurance, plow only with just a pickup and 8-9' plow... F550 with big plow, on big site? yeah $125-150 here easy.. i usually pay per site or to complete it per into tier total and they can average over $200 that way once they get accustomed to that site.
  10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know about you guys In Minnesota.. but who takes out a truck in a snow storm with a snow plow and does work for $60 an hour with that kind of liability and risk? :realmad: I mean i don't care what state you're in, thats crazy for anything commercial with liability!
  11. John_DeereGreen

Ohio isn't the slip and fall gold mine that NY and NJ are. You've actually gotta prove several things before you can get any judgment.

I bet if we compared liability insurance costs, yours are 10X what mine are for the same gross dollar amount.
  12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

BINGO winner winner chicken dinner
  13. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My area, with a lot bigger plow...I would say $85-$90. With the 8', you are going to get pickup wages, maybe $50-$60.

That truck begs for a plow like a Blizzard 8611 or Fisher XV2 9.5 with pin on wings to make it 11 feet.
    Fisher 10' municipal plows are very heavy, even for a 550, and are not nearly as versatile.
  14. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

Where im at in jersey a plow is a plow most people need the rucks so bad they take what they can get. be it a jeep with a 6'5'' shovel or my 550 i get 125 an out acrossed the board. the township i live in pays pickup rate of 140 an hour to plow township roads. snow insurance runs me 10% of the billed invoice on a 60000 seasonal last year they wanted 6000 i added that to my bid and lost the contract.
  15. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

By me everyone and their father have a plow truck most can't truly plow I'm able to find 550s with 9 foot plow for $75 an hour plus fuel min 8 hours a storm
    Then I put my salter in their bed for an extra $5 hours and when storm is over we fuel up trucks and wash trucks and salters
    If I had to pay $150 an hour I don't see most making profit that's is what a lot of contractors base their price on
    Not me
    I'm only cheap with the new guys once they are proven with me then their rates go up even subs but my main sub only gets $100 an hours plus fuel and a wash I'd rather buy a truck then sub too many last year I ran 4 subs
  16. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

I agree with you. Just curious, what do you have to prove before getting judgement?
  17. John_DeereGreen

You've got to prove that the property owner and/or contractor had the obligation to keep you from being injured on their property, and that they did not live up to this obligation. Once you've proven that, you've got to prove that them not living up to that obligation caused your injury. After you've done all that, you have to prove (read:justify) what you are claiming for damages and why you're claiming it.

At least that's how my lawyer summarized it in an email to me last fall when I had a slip and fall at a retail complex. I've talked to several contractors that have had slip and fall incidents in OH and one of the 12 slip and falls between us all got a settlement. 3 didn't even make it past the insurance company's lawyers, 2 got thrown out in court, and the rest didn't win their case in court.

If I lived up there (NY/NJ/CT etc), I'd sit at home and walk in circles before I plowed the first flake of snow in the winter.
  18. Normskiboy

Normskiboy Junior Member

Changing plow size

I found a good used 10 plow for my truck. I hope a can get $75.00 per hour in my area.
  19. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Be thankful you don't.
  20. John_DeereGreen

Been in that part of the country once. And only once. Thankfully. Have no desire to go back.