1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly pricing vs. yearly

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Michael F, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

I see & am seeing a lot of guys here that "make" more than $ 100.00/hr, we also do this most of the time. Because snowfalls vary so much from people on this board, some get 200+inches others get 10 inches. In translation some of us may go out 5 times on an average season, some may go out 50. However probably most of our costs stay the same (truck payment, overhead) My question is this what do you guys strive for (from each truck) for a season?

2. footbrakeFED

footbrakeFED Junior Member
    from sw MI

DAMN....I came here trying to sell a 9.2 never-used Boss V plow - BUT after reading about the potential of the biz.....

I might just keep it !!

3. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

My goal is no less than $15,000 per truck for plowing only. - This $ amount is based on plowing 10 times a year.

Chuck B.

4. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

We usually shoot for 23,000 to 25,000 per truck per year plowing 18 to 22 storms a year

5. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

23-25K thats Canadian $ though, correct?

6. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

My goal is to bring in $15,000/ truck. That is based on 10 storms per year.

7. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I average over 30K/ vehicle, last year over 65 plowable/saltable days.

payup

Bill

PS Those CDN $$$ are worth 25 cents more, each, this year!

8. apkole

apkole Member

We used to figure 16000 was a good route . . . . . in the 70's and 80's. With the cost of new trucks and equipment, I really believe that number has got to crowd 25000. I spoke with a contractor a while ago who mentioned he was well over 40000, but that was on his most efficient (large plows) equipment and probably plowing a 10 hour route or better.

Andy

9. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Ok, so are we talking how much we want to make just plowing snow, or are we talking about salt days too. I was saying $15000/ pickup truck/ season for plowing. Then there is the salting which brings in a lot more. With salting and plowing, my goal is $20-25k per truck per year. Then there are sidewalks.......It kind of blends together on commercial accounts. I think this is a good question and a good thread, but it is hard for me to come up with an exact figure based only on how much I want to make on each truck. There is other equipment that helps clear the commercials so I guess my figure isn't representative of the other equipments.

10. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

apkole

I think it is unfortunate, that some people are bidding so low that they will make less than that in 2004. It seems that as the years go by, the price for plowing falls. It doesn't make sense to me, but I have been observing this a lot lately.