1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hourly,per push or monthly

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 09dieselguy, Sep 14, 2009.

1. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

what is the hourly rate. im thinking about taken advantage of the new holland deal they are offering. i want to see what it would be mostly cost effective for me this winter. for some reason im really wanting to use equipment this season if i can get a good deal. i can see it being faster for some of the lots that i got my eyes on for this season.
    with a skidster and and 10 foot pusher blade i think i could do these with in a 60-90 minutes for most of the smaller lots. i would also have a truck to cut the lots out and skidster to finish.

what is the best way for me to attack these locations for the season.

the area that i want to work in is all on the same street so i could do it quickly from one job to another.

there is also alot of homes in the area that i could do a quick push as well.

how early is to early to start advertising
  2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

... What is the hourly rate of what?....
  3. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

what should the hourly rate of a truck be

what should the hourly rate for a skidster be?
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I would do it by the inch.
  5. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Seasonal, would be the way
  6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Depends on location and lot type, truck/machine make and model, blade size, pusher/box/blade size, etc. What are you worth? How efficiant are you?
  7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

got water is on the right track, I jumped on the smart ace bandwagon, sorry!
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you haven't gottent the account by now it may be too late.
    Hourly rates vary by locations.
    I only do per-push accounts.
  9. jhook

jhook Senior Member

There are a couple of problems with working by the hour...

First, it just throws you on the pile in your customer's mind. The only thing they have to look at is your hourly against the next guy. What makes you different? Why should they hire you? And, the only thing they actually care about is what is the total cost of the job. An hourly rate doesn't actually mean anything.

If I can plow twice as much snow as the next guy because I am faster, more experienced and have better equipment, then I should be able to charge twice as much as the next guy by the hour. Except you can't get work if you bid twice as much by the hour.

So I never work by the hour. I only work by the job or by the season. Then, because I am more efficient than the next guy and have better gear and can do it faster, I make way more per hour than the next guy. Often times even cheaper to the client than my competition.