1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hourly pay for your employees

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by JML, Oct 29, 2002.

1. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

Just wondering what some you guys pay your hourly driver/laborers/operators while doing snow removal work? thanks

2. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Here is what I pay my snowplowing team.

Owner/operater w/own truck $65 - $75 hr.
    Equipment operater $35 hr.
    Snowplow operater $31.75 hr.
    Snowplow shoveler $15.00 hr. to $20.00 hr.

I know my rates are high but its hard to find good workers now a days! CGB

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

We pay:

Owner/Operators $65/hour w/9'+ and Sander
    Owner/Operators $55/hour w/8'+
    Equipment Operators $40/hour
    Plow truck drivers $30/hour
    Shovelers $15/hour

Hope this helps.

-John

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We use to pay hourly but a lack of storms may cause problems for our employees so we switched them to a salary instead! So much better.

5. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Snoworks I need to come work for you!!! Those are some good prices!

6. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

HD61CUIN - Hey, I have been doing some consulting work in your neck of the woods(159th and Indiana). Are you up for buying me lunch!

CGB :drinkup:

7. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Over on the East side.... Well you aren't that far, about 45 min. I am in the process of moving to Tinley Park around 159th and 76th Av. Where is the majority of your accounts? I plow over at Yellow Freight, 103rd and Harlem. The guy I work for is trying to get us another account, Jevic Trucking off 167th Kedzie?(I think that is the address) in Markham.

8. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

HD61CUIN - All my accounts are on the North Shore: N-S Glencoe to Evanston, E-W Winnetka to Northbrook.

The 45 min. drive time is when there is no snow, I'd hate to be on the tollway when it was snowing. CGB

9. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I'll agree with that, Yellow Freight is about 10 min from my house, 15 when snowing. I am pretty much the first one there every time. Last year I was running the salt truck and our endloader. This year I have my first plow truck, it will be nice earning more than 20 an hr. I started on a 4wheeler doing sidewalks, then moved on to heavy eqpt once the guy I work for found out I have a CDL. We have yet to talk an hourly price this year with my personal truck.