1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly on Spreading?...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MileHigh, Sep 6, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Have any of you had to bid out hourly on spreading with a V-box, or liquid mag spreader?

Client wants an hourly on spreading, as opposed to a per app.

Any details?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

125.00 an hour minimum 2 hrs plus salt.
  3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I don't really get it... who is paying for the actual salt? Why would they want this instead of per app?
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Mr Hourly is asking how to bid by the hour? :confused:
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

if it's actual hrs that my chain is moving (spreading) i would have to charge at least $2000 per hour plus cost of salt.....if you count the total time to drive around the customers lot and spread both i would say about $1000 per hour plus salt cost........these are rough prices as i don't do it by the hour. BTW don't do it by the hour because someone will come in a bid it for $100 an hour an you'll never get the bid j
  6. MileHigh

Understood...but we can't get 125/hr for the truck. More like around 100 + Material.

Contractor provides material...

And I didn't write the spec sheet.

They want both an hourly on (truck + material) and hourly on the whole thing...meaning I would have to know how much of either liquid mag, or rock salt the truck will spread on a normal occasion in an half hour or hour's time frame on both liquid and rock...

It's a zero tolerance lot as it's a hospital.

I could not figure out how to save the image and post here so here is the satelite image link.

Putting 2 atv's with 10 shovelers,and 3 trucks with a backhoe..or 2 trucks with 2 backhoes.

medical center :

7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hourly here would be, well never mind.
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you have a 5yard salter and use it to salt 10 places then you will have 1 price. If you take that same load and use it all on 1 site it would be a different price. If the shoot is open 6" it will empty a lot quicker then if it is open 3". Not sure you could even price something like this by the hour. Plus when we load from the shop it is quick but if we go to the depot there might be 2 guys in front of you or 10. How long are you going to estimate your reload time to be. My salt trucks bill out a lot by the hour. Not something I would be willing to post.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tough one to bid, too many variables as previously mentioned. I would just put in a price to salt the complex straight up.
  10. MileHigh

Kinda pushing towards the liquid machine...

It would be a 300 gallon unit.

I have to find out for sure but I think I can purchase the concentrate @ 1.75/gallon...I would assume dillute it, and charge around 4 - 5 $ per gallon to apply + the possibly marked up hourly rate on the plow truck when applying the mag.
  11. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

What they are really asking is how much for you to supply a piec of equipment and person to operate it as an employee of theirs.

You show up at 5:am ... wait 30 minutes to be loaded. Drive around a bit, refill, talk to your buddies, wrap up by 7:30am. How much profit do you want on top of your cost. $15 hr employee, $25 hr for truck, plus $10 hr profit that $50/hr. Add a ton of salt for $70 your at $120 and hr.

Now what would you charge per application????
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You might spread a lot more then 1 ton of salt in a hour.
  13. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

let someone else have that job. Go get some distribution hubs and make some real $$$
  14. MileHigh

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  15. MileHigh

Oh yea that would be smart...since we will be billing out well over 800 dollars an hour + mag, and how they want a backhoe on site at all times paying 4k a month for besides the hourly charge for it when it snows.

not to mention it being zero tolerance.
  16. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

guess you answered your own ?
  17. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

Well first if you dont have the resources to have that then you find SUB CONTRACTORS. How do you think Brickman does that for Duke Reality as one example?
    I wish I was getting 800 an hour for a backhoe. But anyway If there is a zero tolerance they have to flip the bill if they want cheap cheap cheap then do you really think they are going to pay on time? Set your pricing up per push there are many ways to look at it. I would look at Magic - O if you are going to used liquid you will have less headaches. www.magicsalt.info
  18. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

OH my Lord!;) It can't get any easier.
  19. MileHigh

Billing out over 800/hr for 3 trucks, 1 backhoe, 7 shovelers, with 3 atv's.

not just for the backhoe....or else I would have three of them.

It's a freaking hospital...payment is made every 1st and 15th of the month.

I would assume 90% of all commercial work down here is hourly...we can't change the standard pricing scheme.

Clients want a clear lot...hourly provides that service. If it was per-push, we'd be in and out so fast it would look like crap...as in fast is making money.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

With that attitude, it's a wonder you have any customers at all. I do the same quality work whether it's hourly/fixed/seasonal pricing.

In fact, I usually work faster hourly, and do as good if not better work on fixed price. This is my attitude for all my work, not just plowing.

Guys with your attitude make the rest of us look bad.