1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hourly cost

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by 7441aaron, Aug 8, 2011.

1. 7441aaron

7441aaron Junior Member

How do I come up with an hourly cost to operate? I can come up with the cost of equipment lump sum but I don understand how you figure that in to how much an hour. Also how do you guys figure your fuel consumption an hour, breakdowns, maintenance, etc.?

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Most of what you are looking for is the law of averages. Fill up your equipment, use it for a couple hours, refill, divide fuel amount by amount of hours worked, do this a couple times and you well soon get a average cost per hour to run that equipment. Same with maintenance, take the cost of servicing your equipment, divide it by the amount of billing hours you run this equipment, and you have a idea of how much you need per billed hour to pay for a service. Repairs are a bit more tricky being that you don't know when/where/how your equipment well fail, for that I usually add 10-15% on the top. Monthly costs are fixed, so again, fixed costs per month/divided by billied hours, and there you go. Average these things out over 4-6 months and you well have a pretty good idea what costs are for you per billied hour. After that add in your wage and profit margins and you should be set.

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

What did we do before the internet? We had to make mistakes and LEARN from our mistakes......

Well, here ya go......... enjoy!

http://lawnchat.com/?page_id=341

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

First time I've ever seen that. Very cool Thumbs Up

5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Having your expenses figured out exactly is the key to your success, spreadsheets are key. And when calculating all of this, I always assume the most realistic worst case scenario.

6. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

X2. I've been looking for something like that for a while.

7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

We offer what you are looking for

WE have a spreadsheet CD called "Know why you charge what you charge" that calculates cost per hour of operation based on your company's overhead, expenses and use-rates. It is simple to use and you can use it for any service you offer.

Call us if you have any questions. You can also order on-line at www.profitsareus.com

Thanks.

8. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Wow lots of info here what would I do without plow site??? Thx for honesty and integrity fellas