1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hour meter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Plowfast9957, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I have a 2005 Silverado and noticed today that the hour meter reset itself. Is it something that I did because i didnt know that it was resetable. It is currently showing 9.5 hours and has almost 70k miles on it. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
    Thanks, Bill
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No it's not resetable, I wonder if your computer still knows the right hours.
  3. Plowfast9957

I didnt think the meter was resetable. The odometer still seems to be working properly. Maybe the dealer can reset it to the proper hours? I have not killed or unhooked the battery.
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It has an internal battery.
  5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you may have some electrical issues in the dash or something...They are not supposed to be resettable.
  6. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

the dealer can reset it because mine has been. Luckily I remembered the exact hours that was on it. My truck is a 04 duramax
  7. PlanetHigh

PlanetHigh Junior Member

hourmeter reset

I have a 04 Duramax and noticed this past weekend that the hourmeter said 24 hours. I have 87k miles on it and know that number should be higher. I called the dealer and they never heard of this happening. I'm supposed to drive it by and let them take a look. I've come across another forum where someone said they need to update the computer or exchange cluster or something like that.

It's nice to see more people having this issue.
  8. kakygp

kakygp Junior Member
    from Indiana

I have a tahoe the dealer reset the hour meter on after getting a new battery I don't know why.
  9. PlanetHigh

PlanetHigh Junior Member

The hourmeter is not supposed to reset. It is supposed to be a cumulative number just like the odometer.
  10. Plowfast9957

Ok well at least i am not the only one who has seen this. I guess i will call the dealer and see what they say. Thanks
  11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I know mine has been reset in my 02 Tahoe. It says I have 448 hours on it, but the odometer says 110,648.3 miles. Doing the math on that I can personally promise that my Tahoe will not do 246+ mph. If it did I would put a plow on that and be done with my route in like 20 minutes, instead of taking 6 or so hours.