1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hot wiring

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by justtrying, Mar 23, 2007.

1. justtrying

justtrying Junior Member

Hello people!
    From what I'm reading there isn't a problem that hasn't been experienced by someone. And there seems to be a lot of ideas or suggestions.
    My problem is --- 2005 silverado with a heater blower wiring harness at the point of the relay which heats up to the point that you can't hold it and the wiring does burn.
    This was repaired during warranty and is still a problem.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Not a problem with a relay specifically but with fan speed switches, wiring and blower motors burning up. The problem was a loose ground and that sounds like your problem. At least that's the first place I'd look. Find where that circuit is grounded to, and make sure it and all other connections are tight. Open any connectors in that circuit that may have heated up too. Often the insulation or the plastic of the connector will melt over the contact points and that reisistance it to cause heat up. Maybe something like that was missed in the initial repair.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did they replace the blower motor too? If not, replace it.

4. justtrying

justtrying Junior Member

Oh ya! This truck has a bad history. Had 2 instrument panels replaced -- 1 alternator -- a new engine --- and a blower motor with wiring due to same problem as now.
    The engine had to be replaced because I fried it due to leakage because of a faulty lower rad hose clamp while the second instrument panel was all messed up and giving faulty readings.
    New engine and 3rd display panel installed at same time.
    The alternator fried itself.
    The blower would stop and start on its own while in high speed so blower motor and wiring were changed.
    Blower motor started to act as before and wiring is getting hot again.
    Informed dealer but alas it is out of warranty and they would do nothing. I then complained that this ( hot wiring ) due to its location could be a fire hazzard and they agreed to check it out. The technician put a fuse in and it didn't blow ( big deal ) during his test and they came up with the idea that the system was overheating due to the crap which I keep on my dash ( not allowing system to breath and cool ) however with stuff removed from the dash there is no difference in the wiring temperature.
    Sorry for the long explaination but I don't believe the tech's findings and still believe it to be a possible fire hazzard for myself and others.
    The wires are located just over the passenger's feet and just out of site enough that if something should catch fire it may not be noticed until the passenger's boots, parcels or whatever is on the floor is also affected.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Was it OK for period of time after they replaced the blower motor and wiring, then started to do it again? There was a TSB for the blower motor wiring harness shorting out on a metal underdash brace on these trucks. Did they say anything about it to you?

6. justtrying

justtrying Junior Member

Re TSB

Yes the blower worked for about a year.
    They didn't mention it (TSB). Thanks. I will attempt to find it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your gonna call them, the document id # for this TSB is: 1538890

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had a MontiCarlo that had blower problems. It ended up being a junction plug problem.
    It caused so much resistance that it heated up the whole wire for high blower. I took the plug out of the circuit and soldered the wires together. Never had a problem after that.
    A bigger libray will have plat books to where wires run and where junction plugs are. This might help you to run down the problem area.