1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hot solenoid! Melted out solder!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by hickslawns, Dec 11, 2005.

1. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I have a 1977 Ford with a meyer plow. I found the solenoid on the wheel well making the wire coming out very hot. THis is the solenoid with a wire from the battery to solenoid, then wire going down to the starter. THe wire to the starter got so hot, it melted out the solder and lost its connection. Coincidentally, I had the same problem a few years back with a 1979 chevy with a western plow. Neighbor thinks either a ground is bad, or low voltage from the alternator. I don't know, but last time I replaced the solenoid on the chevy and haven't plowed much with it since. It is a backup truck. since this has happened more than once with different trucks/plows, I thought some of the experts here might know the cause. I have seen a lot, but don't know the cause of this one. I am baffled. Any helpful suggestions appreciated!
  2. Brett K

Brett K Member

In my experience, 99.9% of the time it's a bad ground.
  3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. We tested the starter and found it was sucking too much juice. Also found the solenoid had a broken prong. Replaced both, and tested the alternator. Alt tested good, but there was no way to test the voltage regulator. For $11 I replaced it. Taking everything apart and cleaning the grounds should fix any ground issues. But that doesn't answer why the wire gets hot. Is it actually the bad ground which would cause the hot wire? Or would it have been the starter in this case?
  4. moosey

moosey Senior Member

With the bad ground the alt wire will backfeed creating the hot wire. With the proper ground the wire will not backfeed and you should not have any problems. I just run into this with my truck. the battery was going dead and the alt tested fine and regulator was fine too. The wire for alt was heating up and melting some. We added another ground to the frame to the battery and it fixed it.