1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hot rear end

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by yzf1000_rider, Feb 25, 2007.

1. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

ok now that ive got your attention i have a 99 1500 ext cab ram i have put 4.56 gears in it and when i went on a trip fri i noticed after the trip that the rear gear cover was hot to the touch dont know if that is normal or not ive never felt a rear cover after a trip. maybe iam just worrint about nothing but was just wondering if you guys had anything to say about this. thanx for any help.

KINNCO Senior Member

as long as you didn't hear a whinning noise the lash must be ok
    It's normal for thr rear end to get hot. If it was bad..you'd smell the grease a burnin up:yow!:
  3. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

thats what i was hoping to hear thanx. no smell and no noise
  4. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

since dodge's are know for tranny's i'm having a trans temp gauge and rear diff temp gauge installed in my since its a 1500.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Was it a brand new gear set? Was it an aftermarket gearset? If so, they'll get pretty warm during the break in period. When you set it up was you able to get everything within spec on the pinion preload and the backlash? How hot would you estimate it was? I'd keep and eye on it for a while as if it's running TOO warm during the break in period it can affect the strength of the gears.