1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hot Motor slow plow reaction HELP

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jef6941, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jef6941

jef6941 Junior Member

I am sure that this isn't' new, but I couldn't' find a similar one!! 93 unimount Sport. Flushed out and refilled with ATF. The plow ran well in he garage. Back out in the cruel world it didn't'. At first the plow did nothing , but would work after driven a few feet (50) then everything was OK until the next trip. Now after approx 45 minutes of operation it slows down and draws juice to the point that the truck stalls. The motor is to hot to touch!! Outside temp of 17 Degrees after 10 minutes with only the outside of the motor cool The truck stars right up and the plow works fine. But only for a few minutes. then Slow Plow and motor hot again. ANY suggestions will be appreciated.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I would say there is likely several things

A) Change the fluid to the "blue" hydraulic
    B) Either the suction screen is dirty and has to be clean
    C) could be the pump binding ( I doubt it), should check it
    D) the winding in the motor is going bad because of rust and water..
    E) you have a ground problem between the truck and the plow. Check the connector plugs (both) and make sure they are clean. Use battery cleaner, let them soak for a couple minutes. If you have a air gun, blow them out, and put electrical grease on both cables. Make sure they are snug when you plug them back together so they are making good contact..Check the truck grounds to make sure they are making good ground.
    F) check the solenoid to make sure all the wires are clean and making good connection..
    G) have you charging system check out. Make sure a "load"test is done as well. Autozone will do it for free..

3. jef6941

jef6941 Junior Member

Many thanks!! We are in luck there is a thaw coming for a couple of days. Happt Holidays ALL!!

4. tonyy

tonyy Junior Member

My dealer said that a motor will sometimes overheat when it is going out. Ez replacement only 100 dollars