1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hot ford trans

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ponderosa, Feb 19, 2006.

1. ponderosa

ponderosa Member

i need a few ideas. my f350 7.3 2001 the auto tranygets hot i run a 9 ft blade with a side wing and a sander the truck empty weights 12000 full it weights 16000 i take it out of od and only plow in 1st and 2nd i have the factory cooler and big extra cooler i plow 3 roads it takes me 1-2 hrs then i sit for it to build up again really very nice work but the trany runs 200-240 and i know i am doing damage any ideas thanks

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you could try synthetic trans fluid and a trans cooler with a small fan on it. when was the last time your trans was flushed, filter(s) changed and fluid changed?
    you are over weight with your truck, if it is a SRW your only suppose to weigh 9900 lbs, a dually is more but no where hear 16000 lbs.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Try getting an F550 to get back in the proper weight range. You're overloading it big time.
    How about adding another tranny cooler at the radiator and an aux electric fan there.... also add a deep/extra capacity oil pan on the trans.

you;re never going to get it to function properly being that overloaded, a dually is only good for 12000#- 14000 unofficially and an F450 is only rated to 14K.

4. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

They make a deep aluminium finned pan-- aftermarket--works great---trans runs about 20 degrees cooler--little over $200 it will set you back! I'm with just me on you might want to think about a 550!!!!!--You are definately putting the word "WORK" in worktruck with what your doing with it!

5. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

i would get the biggest tranny cooler u can find

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

All good advice so far, especially the part about getting the right sized tuck for the job. But as long as you don't get pulled over or in an accident and hurt or kill someone, you'll be fine. JMO

Start off with a tranny oil flush including filter change, unless you just had it done at the beginning of the season. This should be done annually. A bigger pan would help because you will have more fluid to circulate. Find the largest aftermarket cooler that you can and have that installed. And you might want to do a search for Brian's Transmission Shop, he can do all of the above plus make your tranny pretty much bulletproof. He will also ship one of his trannys to a local shop if you don't want to drive down to see him.

7. ponderosa

ponderosa Member

thanks for the ideas all ready have bigger cooler on the way thought the oil pan was just for racers good idea as far as being over weight i have done a lot worst at least i have dual wheels under me allso in nh if you are doing town or state work you are exempt from height witdth and weight nice little rsa for plow guys thanks for the help

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

We're not talking about legal restrictions, we're saying you're overloading the working physical limits of the truck. That truck was not designed for use in that amount of weight- essentially it's abuse. The truck will fail sooner than later- the transmission issue you are having is the first sign of that.
    It's like pulling a yard of sand on top of a Radio Flyer wagon-

I'm not telling you what to do, I just want to make sure you understand what I mean. AND I'm not buying that truck come trade in time....

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I bet you're not exempt from liability if you hit\injure\kill somebody. They get a lawyer that weighs your truck and you're going to be in a world of hurt because you are using that truck for more than it was designed for.

There's a reason that there are different sized trucks. Otherwise you'd see somebody trying to pull a 53' semi trailer behind a 3/4 ton truck because it's cheaper than buying a tractor, and setup correctly, it can pull it.

10. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

The easiest upgrade is to use a V10 cooler. It is about 30% larger. I have heard the torqueshift cooler is even bigger but have yet to look.
    BTS is the way to go for trans upgrades.
    http://www.brianstruckshop.com/
    He did mine 3 years ago and i have been throwing roughly 500 rwhp at it for the last 2 years without 1 complaint.

11. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I had same problem with my f550. The problem I had was, my cooler was clogged and no flow or little was going through the cooler and bypassing it through bypass valve. Check to see if your tranny coolers are hot, if not then you have cooler flow restriction some where. This is just what happened to me on my truck and tranny would reach 240 quick. Now my f550 does not go past 180 with 9' plow and loaded sander. Even though your over weight, you have same motor tranny and coolers as my 2000 F550. Only thing different is rear end ratio. So depending on that your tranny should not get hot. If your flow is good , then either your tranny has something wrong or truck just can't handle weight with the rear you have (weight wiz def. overloading).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  12. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

remind me to stay away from Epsom when it snows. Actually, I went through there yesterday at the beginning of the storm. Glad I didnt run into you. I also went through Derry on 93 a short time before that 50 car pileup. Lucky me.

13. sam c

sam c Member

Hey Ponderosa, Been there, done that, same truck, same problem. Simple answer, TOO HEAVY :nono: Believe me, I'm on my second trans. I now DO NOT plow while loaded. When it starts to get hot I will run in 4 low to bring the temp down, higher rpms, more circulation, more cooling. Also you mentioned running in first and second gear, I assume you don't start with the selector in 2? that does not allow the trans. to start out in first. I would guess that your rear end gears may be a bit too tall for the job. Good luck

14. J29

J29 Senior Member

Hot Tranny

I know Ford had many factory tranny coolers that were getting clogged with debris. I would definitely check to make sure that it is warm, just as rob1325 suggested. Also, 2nd gear on the auto is only a 1.54:1 gearing. Thats like 3rd gear on most manuals these days. Def. not enough for starting up with all that weight. I just lock out the OD on my tranny and go slow. Just my opinion, hope it may help. J.