1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hot Differential

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Landmark1, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Landmark1

Landmark1 Member

I have a 2009 F350 and was plowing the last two days with it for the first time and noticed the front differential getting hot and smells like oil. I did not see any leaks, and I am plowing in 4hi. I use to own 2000 ford f350 diesel and never notice it on that truck. Any ideas? Thanks.
  2. I would open it up and check it out. Check all the seals the fluid check for deposits and consistency
  3. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

X2, check the fluid if it has any in it.
  4. Landmark1

Landmark1 Member

Popped the plug checked fluid, looked clear, no leaks, topped it off, didn't have to add much before it started flowing out, closed it back up. I have no idea. Hopefully if something goes the warrenty will cover it. It doesn't make any noises or act funny.:confused:
  5. Maybe just a freak thing
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Was it greasy out, or pretty good grip?
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it truly is hot then the ring & pinion was set far too tight during the manufacturing build. Have seen a couple '08-'09 Super's with this issue so far.