1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hot coolant

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Jan 17, 2009.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i had an idea...

after talkign with a few of my workers..and the past temps being sub zero... we all know its not the first time, or the last

trying to start some of the equiptment , can be a pain , if not impossible....

Has anyone ever figured or done something that invloved, warming up the coolant with another motor?

my guys thought, we should make a quick coupler off that radi of my truck ...and add disconnects to the machines

then on really cold days... you could plug in a hose... maybe even your jumper cables too... sit there for 15 mins or so

warm coolant from your truck would pump , and warm up the machine.... the cold would return to the truck ... you could watch your coolant temp gauge go up and down..until it was steady ,

just a thought....

ud have to watch to make sure it was the same type of coolant.... so an older vehical might be better than a new one....

i dunno , just kicking around ideas.... its too expensive to leave the machine idle all day ... i guess a generator on the coolant plug might help... but thats like a 3 hours wait... and it only kinda works
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They've been doing that for years up north. We find it easier just to carry a small gen set and a cord and plug the tractor in for 30 min.
  3. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

i didnt know that

the only time i try pluging in the generator , it seems to take hours to get it warmed up... maybe its just my luck
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Never tried it or seen it done but heard of a log of loggers doing it. Since out in the middle of the forrest there isn't to many outlets to plug your equipment into. Seem's to me that it would work though, might take quite a while if you have a big motor to warmup though. But a skiddy or small loader should take under half an hour I'd guess.
  6. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

if electricity is not a problem gaining access to then i would suggest a block heater (for coolant) and a oil pan heater. Your would be surprised how much easier stuff starts with oil that is not like molasses. Just plug them in a few hours before hand or set them on a timer so they come on when they need to.
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We usually plug them in go get a coffee and come back put the battery cables on them and they always start. You can get a coolant heater that pumps fluid and they seem to work better then block heaters.
  8. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

just be careful that you don't crack the block. I saw some one do what you are talking about in Farm Show magazine a few years ago and it worked pretty well for him.
  9. elite1msmith

from chicago

sounds like a good plan

just getting fustrated by a few peaces not starting up in the cold... i know , its hard to control

but we had to undig a few things by hand in the cold because a skiddy wouldnt start up...

with me leaving in 1 more month,... ill be gone next season , so im trying anything to make the guys lifes easier at this point
  10. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

I would also say be careful u don't crack the block..