1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hot coil

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jaclawn, Aug 31, 2000.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

I took my plow out of storage and to the shop today. I drove with it for about 15 minutes, then it sat in the float position for about an hour and a half. The plow was on the ground, in the float position, but the keypad switch was on.
    BTW The plow in question is a Meyer, with an E60 pump.

When I went to take the blade off, I felt the coil, the one with the black wire, I think it is the one for the up/down. THe coil was hot to touch. The wire was not hot, just the coil. THe other two were not hot.

My question, is this normal? If not, what should I look for to repair?
  2. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I'd say thats normal,after having power run through it for 1.5hrs on a hot summer day.This is assuming it is not connected to switched power,and if its not it should be.Could save you a dead battery.Still might want to clean up the celenoids.