1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LHK2, Dec 1, 2008.

1. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Anybody deal with hospitals and is there any pros or cons to them. We had a medium to large hospital call us and want to discuss taking over the contract.
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

First off it's Dec, why are they calling you so late. Also Hospitals are open 24/7 and they have all different kinds of people coming and going at all hours of the day. You need to price accordingly for 0 tolerance or you will get sued. You are always plowing around cars no matter what. Hospitals aren't my first choice for a large account but they can be very profitable.
  3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

ya you have to sell yourself and all of your time to this lot. not only is it 24-hour maintenance but it has to be damn near perfect. there are elderly people, ambulances,emergency vehicles all coming in and out and neither will care that you're a half hour late or not and they'll b**ch and complain.
  4. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Price high, they are a pain in the rear.
  5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I agree with the above posts. I've dealt with them before. They tend to be very difficult to deal with. One snowflake and you better have people on site. Be prepared.
  6. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

The one near me has their own fleet of snowblowers and 2 new silverado's with v-plows. Janitorial does snow removal for them.
    I'd assume it's a high liability job as a contractor to do.
  7. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

We do a hospital. 1 1/2 inch trigger, we plow from 6 at night till 6 in the morning , there crew takes over during the day, and take care of salting 24 hours a day. The 3rd shift guy calls if it needs plowing so thats easier for me being 10-20 min. away and "guessing" if theres snow.
  8. SCS

SCS Junior Member

I work for a hospital here in Minnesota. I can tell you that "zero tolerance" is a must. No snow is to be left on the sidewalks. We (the hospital) are in charge of all the sidewalks. There is about 12 miles of sidewalk!

All surface lots are contracted out. They are to be piled and hauled away in the same night. This years contract is worth about $800,000.

It is quite a site to see everything take place in one evening. There is equipment everywhere!

Good Luck
  9. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I plow a medical clinic that is owned by a hospital. Zero tolerance. Is a real big money maker. Can only imagine what a hospital would be like.
  10. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I got a contract for a medical building this season. Not a hospital, but same deal with the older folks, disabled/crippled individuals, etc. Going to have to really stay on top of it.
  11. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

What are you guys using for the sidewalks?
  12. SCS

SCS Junior Member

2- 763's with 4' blades
    3- Jacobsen front mounts with brushes
    3- Cushmans with top dressers

Takes about 10 hours to get all the walks cleared and salted. In that time on a good storm the walks are covered again. Start the route all over again!
  13. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Is it a St. Lukes Clinic? I'm wondering how they are to work with. I hear they contract out each clinic individually.
  14. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I take care of all the doctors offices that surround one of our hospitals. The hospital takes care of the main campus but we do rest. Quick paying and easy do deal with here.
  15. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Each is contracted out individually and is great to work for.
  16. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we plow a hospital. as soon as it starts snowing we are spreading salt like mad. as soon as there is a half inch on the ground your plow doesnt leave the ground untill that parking lot is done. meaning the lot looks like it was rained on. and the next day the lot is white from all of the salt thats on it.

plain and simple. lot of money to be made with them. lot of hours and work put in. its a pain in the ass. also takes a lot of man power.
  17. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

all the previous posts are true. lots of salt and sand. the majority of hospitals are slow payers firgure 180 days out. Biggest problem is parking lot utilization. Try to get the second shift to park in one specific lot, and the same for the third, etc. That way you have them pulling into clean areas. Kinda hard to manuever around lots that have cars in every other space. Also if the hospital has a heli-port you have to comply with FAA regulations in regards to snow and ice melt products. Usually, you have to have a couple of backup emergency plans and subs.
  18. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

They called us because with the early snow storms, it caught the out of town provider with his pants down. I have been in discussen with the manager and I am getting that he wants zero tolerance, but they are willing to pay for it. Like they other post, salt like mad and plow hard. It will be worth the money though.
  19. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Go for it. Shoot high , most likely the co. before you has been rockin them . Great work if you can get it. I have 1 truck designated for entrances / exits with plow/spreader for my cousin at a large MontCo. hospital . He sits in the cafeteria w/ pay half the time.payup