1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hospitals are they worth it

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dfdsuperduty, Jan 27, 2009.

1. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Any of you that may plow at a hospital (not clinic) do you think they are worth it or should i run fast?

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Get the specs on the contract plus if ya get hurt youre nic e and close for help.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

They've done something right along the way.

5. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

sounds like a fantastic business model to follow. Started small with one truck too, way to go.

6. Loaderpusher

Loaderpusher Member

We do a hospital, i think it is worth it, but it sure makes for some long hours.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  7. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Not to sure about that one. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket. So what happens when they get lowballed? I have seen companies plowing places for years and loose contracts, all it takes is someone saying I'll do it X amount cheaper.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I forgot which thread it was on here but someone said he was getting $60,000 from a hospital for the season and has to have someone on the property 24/7. Hard to say if that is a lot of money or not without knowing how big the lot is, how much snow they get, and if that included salt and whatever else, but apparently there is some decent money exchanging hands.

9. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

when I was subcontracting for a company we had some contracts that had 0 tolerance down to the point of having to squeegee small puddles of water off of the pavement I would like to think that something of this caliber would have big $$$ involved the hospital that has contacted me pretty much wants the same thing as well as a representative of the company on site 1 hr prior to any snow falling.

10. dhadaway632

dhadaway632 Member

We do work with three hospitals. Not plowing though. They pay good and they do not go out of business. the traffic would suck though for plowing, but it can't be worse than some of these college apartment complexes at 2:30 am. Take money where you can get it. It is a different world than it was a year ago!

11. ff1221

ff1221 PlowSite.com Addict

$60000 isn't much when you look at the cost of employing the 18 new staff they hired to maintain the site, not to mention fuel and other overhead costs like a 10000 sq/ft building. I would imagine he has his margins figured out, and it helps they have had a 15 year run with the same place.

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

They probably have multi year contracts with a multi year cancelation notice

13. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i like the hospital we help out at. money is always good and they always need to be serviced

14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I am not talking about the guy who is building the new building, who was mentioned in the beginning of this thread. It's a different guy, I just can't remember who.

15. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

All I will say is I am jealous of the company here that has the contract. They have had it for a long time. Always have new equipment and good workers. Hospitals are pretty loaded, so you don't have to worry about not getting paid.

16. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I work for a huge hospital. I don't plow the snow (we have a grounds crew that does that) but make sure you are part of their vendor contracts. Some hospitals will bid everything out. If they do make sure you are part of that. I know where I work we lease the building (hospital doesn't own it) and our ground work lawn and snow is contracted out. I missed the bid this year so maybe next year.

17. ff1221

ff1221 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry my mistake:D