1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hospital Emergency / Trama Unit Entrances

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Spool it up, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

Anyone here have a hospital on their route ? We have one which includes a portion of the ER and a parking garage deck .I'm thinking they subbed it out because their facility employees aren't jambed up staying in that critical area.
    We go thru calcium by the ton bag . We never had an event as huge as this one since aquired last year.
    We've been thinking of some type of heater vehicle to keep the ground wet and to patent it .
    Imagine the amount fuel the badboy would consume .:eek:
    Possibly around a million BTU's would complete the task .
  2. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

For that kind of money for one smallish area, sounds like a job for one of those heated driveway systems...though you don't make continued money on that as a contractor.
  3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Just dont let the ambulances crash due to ice
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I find that calcium melts fast but it does not seem to keep a continuous snow fall from piling back up on the area. I find the treated rock salt I use to keeps the area clear of snow for longer. I am looking for something besides calcium to use on walks and critical areas that last longer. Any suggestions?
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I personaly use a calcium,rocksalt mix I find I get the instant of the calcium & the longevity of the rocksalt. Works for me in my climate
  6. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

X2. We service our local hospital and this exactly what we use.
  7. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Yes Hateful, thats the ideal tool!, I think all of us could use/want a mig engine powered blower(see the chunks flying) but if the intial cost dont get you & you can afford the fuel, the city noise bylaws prob will hamper the operation.
  9. FedPlwKng

FedPlwKng Junior Member

On military installation medical facilities I use to use potassium acetate, and sometimes urea, but there are downside to both. Potassium acetate is expensive, we used it on airfield runways and taxi ways. Urea well everything thats supposed to be green for about two feet of the hard surface you stand a very good chance of burning up with the urea.
  10. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member